Sign in to follow this  
xenium

Philips HP890, Grado SR-60 or Senn HD-280 ???

Saw in headwise's project updates dated 3 March 2003, there was an article on The Morgan Jones Mini headphone amp, which talked about building clones of EarMax cans. Would Firefox be keen to build one ? wink.gif

Hi Xenium,

I think it's wiser to give your ears sometime to get used to the HP890; I used to think my cheap Sony earbuds were much better than any headphone!

The HP890 is one of those headphones that doesn't seem to yield to burn-in. Jan Meier himself agreed that burn really makes a difference on some headphones only; HP890 is not one of them.

Try your new toy with different sources, e.g. PC soundcard, MP3 / portable CD or MD player player, power amp, headphone amp. Never use the jack on your home CD component player (i.e. standalone, not hooked up to a power amp). Mini compos are ok 'cause the amplification is in-built. You'll see what I mean.

As for starter amps, a couple of options: the Total Airhead (I like it, but very pricey!), the Porta Corda (get the second version), or get someone to build the META 42 for you (good and cheap, but you gotta find a builder).

Happy Listening! headphone.gif

Correction to my earlier clause "EarMax Cans", it should read as "EarMax Headamp". Would Firefox be interested to have a go ? yes.gifwink.gif

Correction to my earlier clause "EarMax Cans", it should read as "EarMax Headamp". Would Firefox be interested to have a go ? yes.gifwink.gif

I'm absolutely unfamiliar with tubes.. LoL... and have no time to learn right now.... Unless you can get Mindef to unshackle me... Haha.... I do have an unfinished META42 which I'd probably sell off once it's done since I'd need to build myself something more portable to bring in-camp to listen to.

ok, let me know once your META42 is completed, i will buy it if i like its sound quality after auditioning......meanwhile pls try on tubes as this skillset is very rare nowadays. You could be our own Ken Ishiwata.

Well, i have done my part to bring early release from the army camps .... i could share with you some of the ways.

pls PM me once META42 is ready, cheers. wink.gif

More to that.......it's more of throttling your blood flow to good readings actually. Anyway, this is similar to having higher heart beats when you see a new pair of cans that yield beautiful sound, with a solidly built contour that is pleasing visually as well. Wearing it is physical, but the joy and smoothing resonance come with it is both emotional and mental.... wink.gif