Sign in to follow this  
xenium

Philips HP890, Grado SR-60 or Senn HD-280 ???

hi, i wanna buy my 1st pair of headphones...which do u recommend???

1. Philips HP890

2. Grado SR-60

3. Sennheiser HD 280 PRO

I would mainly use it to listen to latin, techno, instrumental AND for watching movies at night... i'm in S'pore.

Pls tell me where I can buy them @ good prices...thanks!

Give the Philips and Grado a listen at my place. Then if you decide on the Philips contact El Scorcho. If you decide on the Grado place an order. Can't help you on the Senn though.

do you need the isolation of the hd280pro?

if so, especially out of computer, to filter out the fans' noises.. you will need the senn..

I've heard it briefly. It's a bit bright, but otherwise quite a fine can, with a deep bass for techno.

Edited by Guyferd

It all depends on your budget, and also your listening taste.

Personally, I'd take the Grado SR60 over the other cans in your list (what the hell am I thinking, crapping on my own merchandise!! blink.gif ). One word of caution though: there are ppl out there who simply cannot accept the Grado sound; kind of a love-it-or-hate-it kinda thing. It's best for you to personally listen to it first. It's also pricier than the HP890. Grados render rock and acoustic music like no other headphone can.

The HP890 comes in second for me, but this really depends on your taste. Many like the more distant, laid back sound of the HP890. It's definitely a charmer for classical, jazz and yes, electronica and dance (in this genre it outperforms even the Grados). Great bass that's not boomy at all, plus it's probably the least expensive can on your list. Not so hot for rock and hip-hop. It's average for movie watching.

Sorry, no opinions about the Senns 'cause I haven't heard it yet. But this is a closed headphone, and most good closed headphones are also good for movie watching; gives you that auditorium feel. Senns are also generally more laid back.

Hope you find your first headphone soon. Happy listening. headphone.gif

tks! guys!

I'll begin with the HP890, then hopefully add the Senn/Grado cans later. Most of you gurus has more the one set of cans, i suppose each has its role to play.

Wanna use the HP890 as the "general" cans around the house, then buy the better ones for self-indulgence...what do u think?

btw, El Scorcho, I've PM you!

Edited by xenium

For a price similar to HD280Pro, you may want to consider the new PXC250 which has Noise Cancelling facility to neutralise the surrounding noise during listening. I found it quite good and is lighter than HD280Pro.

And pls remember to include a hp amplifier in your budget.......to get that extra juice from your cans. bye.gif

wink.gif

when does one need a hp amp? if i use at home, hooked up to my home theater AV amp... should i add an HP amp to get better sound ???...

i juz got the HP890 (personally, I think it's quite filmsy and cheapo [it looks good in packaging though, makes a great gift item.. rolleyes.gif ] ... but nebermind ... buy oreadi juz use for "general purpose"... oso, i found out that i dun enjoy velvet, it gives me the itch... maybe it's still new or what... guess leather or sponge would be better... well, these are the first few impressions on the HP890....it's definitely subjective, no offences...

somehow i find the sound quite bland (I played techno and latin)...should i wait for "burn-in" before i get disappointed with the performance? must i add a hp amp to get the "sound juices"... it rates (the HP890) 37ohms impedance... is it high? what does it mean? i need more power to "drive" it??? does it need to be compatible to any ratings on my hifi amp output jack ???

questions..questions...questions..... we learn when we ask them... biggrin.gif pardon me....

sidetrackin'.... i actually enjoy the headphones at Gramaphone store (Capitol)...what do they use...and how do they hook it up... there's a tiny box with a volume control (it's custom-made) what is it?

Those are the AKG K44 headphones and I guess that tiny box looks suspiciously like a CMoy. On set B (jazz and audiophile vocals), there's pretty bad distortion. If you do go to music junction/cdrama, you will be able to hear the AKG K100.

Well you could have saved some money and decided on whether you prefer the Philips 890 or the Grado SR60 if you had come down to my place and listened to both. The offer still stands :-) even for the inexpensive SR-60.

Well you could have saved some money and decided on whether you prefer the Philips 890 or the Grado SR60 if you had come down to my place and listened to both. The offer still stands :-) even for the inexpensive SR-60.

save money? not really lah.. I wanted to buy the HP890 anyway for general usage and also for DECOR! I will want to get the Grados eventually...

btw, "uncle rameish" u tok like "see...papa told u so..." yawn.gif

I think I noe what's lackin (no problems/issues here), juz that my AV amps' phone jack SUCKs! I think they're made for 16ohms ear plugs! anybody wants to validate???...

Whether Grados/Senns or any CANS, I think I must spend money again on this thing call the Headphone Amps!!! Wait...dun offer me your products yet! If anyone can gimme a DIYed CMoy to toy with...think it will help??? A used Meta42 oso can... try my luck biggrin.gif

meanwhile, "uncle rameish" ... where's your shop? 12pm to 1pm ok?

Xenium,

Your HP890's 37 ohms impedance rating is close to Grado's 32 oms, hence a Grado headamp should be suitable to drive it. But please do it after your cans have been well run-in. wink.gif

my headphone (hp890) delivers sound juices beautifully when hooked up to my Sony SRF-S53 FM Pocket Radio w/Mega Bass!!! Wow..powered by ONE AAA battery...

I believe this CANs has got potential if "fed" with the right stuff....

but I can't be listening to juz radio with my HP890? I want to play my CDs...

what options do i have???

I believe hp890 is not that bad, despite its cheap price tag.

Is the HP890 heavy, compared with the Grado ? For substantial period of non-stressed listening, light weight is important. I am satisfied with Grado RS-2, it is light and yet producing full range of very detailed sound....wonderful piece of craftsmanship. wink.gif

The HP-890 is an inexpensive yet good phone. No point in getting another inexpensive and good phone Xenium. I'm surprised that your AV receiver can't even produce the sound quality of what your portable radio can do.

Maybe at this stage you need an amp more than another HP.

Try the head-fi classifieds as there will be more amps for sale there. If you're handy with a soldering iron you could also buy the kit version of the PCII. However Dr. Jan Meier does not offer any warrenty for the kit version for obvious reasons - too many botch jobs :-).

Firefox might be able to help build one for you as well.