Sign in to follow this  
fuild

A900/A500

The dimensions of these cans are huge to say the least... i would find them really cumbersome for portable use...

think of having cd sized cans on yer head....they are big but also very beautiful.

U cant get them in singapore but u can find them online at bluetin.com or thru other online shops

Managed to find this online. Maybe can try contacting them:

Audio-Technica (S.E.A) Pte Ltd

623 Aljunied Road #04-10, Aljunied Industrial Complex, Singapore 389835

Tel. 65-6749 5686 | Fax. 65-6749 5689 | email. sales@audio-technica.com.sg

Cool. They replied. The ATH-A500 is supposed to be available at Hung Bros or at their showroom. unsure.gif didn't Q00 say that they were unavailable here?

If you get them do let us know how you get on, interested to hear about their sound.

me also actually interested to get a new pair of headphones.

initially thought of getting the grado but now that a500 also available locally,... unsure.gif

Any opinions?

fuild:

BTW, just curious why u pick the A500 ? biggrin.gif

oh i'm getting it for the relatively lower impedance. smile.gif But the impedance for the A500 is higher than the A900. can't make up my mind between the two. Being a student, ain't got that much cash to blow.

Maybe go check out the prices n sound before deciding?

I need a pair that can sound good un-amped.

For me, is a case of Grados being more 'established' brand- many have recommended them at their respective price ranges.

Whereas the AT-A500/900 are just starting to have a following at Head-fi forum and those who have them claim that they work quite well un-amped. They are also very comfy.

On the other hand, since i am a newbie to headphones n have only listened to the handful of sub-$100 'phones, i guess either of the two should be better than the ones i have heard. Though would still like to hear each one of them to determine whether i like the sound before buying... laugh.gif

The A900 sound has been described as being very similar to the Sony 7506/V6 but without the 'weaknesses' like a recessed midrange and a not so 'bright' sound. The A500 is more like a rough around the edges version of the A900.

The A900 is more like an upgrade for an owner of a Sony 7605/V6...but still not as refined as the Sony CD-3000's.

As for the size, the A900 has been described as this : "Imagining putting a cd next to you ear, it should be around that size. It is very big but also very very comfortable." I think i recall somebody saying in the head-fi forums saying that the A500 is also very similar. Is that that big fuild? tongue.gif

Personally i went down to Hung Bros to enquire about the A900 but instead i got a lecture about how the product doesnt exsist but, thats another story. I was very turned off by their attitude that i decided not to go there anymore and didnt bother looking at what they had to offer so i may have missed it. Gd luck, hope it helps. If anything, trust your ears. What is golden for some may not be for you, meaning that if it sounds good, then that should be good enough for you.

Yeah. i probably will use them unamped at home. However, my dad has this kenwood integrated stereo amp that he uses for his speakers. I saw a headphone output jack on it though. But i'll mainly be driving them out of my PCDP and my pc.

As for whether Hung Bros do sell the A900/A500 or not, will go down during the weekend to look. smile.gif honestly i doubt my ears will find the difference between these two headphones significant. Would the A900 justify its price tag? btw, whether i get the A500 or 900, i hope they sound better than my current PX-200s.

edit: oh yes. they don't seem that big to me though. but looks super comfy laugh.gif

Edited by fuild