red_ryder

Caring for Tube amps

Hi, am new to tube amps (just bought a Cayin) and very afraid of accidentally blowing the tubes inside. The guy at Precision Audio told me to never turn on the amp unless a headphone is plugged in. Other than that, anything else I should take note of?

I'm also wondering if I keep switching RCA cable inputs will that spoil the amp? Reason being I'm using it for both a dvdp and a cdp. Do I have to turn off the amp first before dis-connecting and re-connecting RCA inputs?

Edited by red_ryder

i believe tgat tubes are one of the most electrically durable active devices. they can take lots and lots of sh*t. no joke...

don`t worry about pluging in headphones with the thing on. it doesn`t do much harm to the amp. tubes are damn damn damn hardy. 20% overcurrent, no problem, 20% over voltage no problem. compared to a Solid state device that would die at exactly 100% of the rating.

When you switch off the amp, give it time to discharge the caps before switching on again, or you might have a power serge.

Keep the amp well ventilated. Don't worry about switching sources, just make sure you turn down the vol when you do so.

what about turning it off:

do we have to turn the volume pot all the way down before switching it off? biggrin.gif

edit: I always do that.However, I wonder if it's really necessary since I could have the convenience of my 'fixed' listening volume without the hassle of re-adjusting it everytime I turn my amp on wink.gif

Edited by Blues

Yes tubes are not as fragile as some would make it seem but your Cayin does need a load - either speaker load or headphone load when you do switch it on. Leacing it on with no load for a shot time should be okay.

Alternatively your could "tie" or "link" the speaker binding posts with an 8 ohm resistor do a search - I'm mentioned this somewhere here