splinter

SACD Player

Not really a SONY.

The cheapest SACD player is a Pioneer which happens to play DVD-Audio and Video as well. Costs about $400....not sure about model number though...

(Audio)

Question if you guys can help. Would a $150 SACD player play better than a $500 normal CD player?

I am not a proponent of more$=more quality. But think about how much the manufacturer got to squeeze into his budget for a SACD player at that price. Probably had to scrimp a lot of things and compromise like mad. It's a matter of economics.

But then again, this is tainted opinion, haven't heard the player yet. Might have something that represents true value. Like : Marantz CD63, Tannoy Mercury M2s, NAD 3020i amps...blah blah blah... I can only hope the Toshiba 4960 is one of them. Zoide, singapore prices?

FWIW, Marantz SA8260 (approx S$1200) sounds really good with SACDs but very much lesser on redbook playback (conventional cd playback) relative to cheaper Marantz cdps eg. CD17MKIII. Hence, a fantastic SACD player does not equate to an equally excellent cdp unless the machine is engineered to do so and bound to carry an expensive price tag. Some hobbists own 2 sources, a cdp and SACDp for playback of these 2 formats.

Oh, I suppose that's the case also, I believe the DAC for SACD is different from the normal CD one. So, putting two high end chip inside is bound to be expensive. Only some components can be shared, like the output stage.