Sign in to follow this  
yongchris

Using the Headmaster as a pre-amp

I doubt it will work well with my 88db speakers. Probably clip.

well wont think the sun audio would clip on that load, would probably be soft thats abt it.

wil's got a piece and you could probably bug him to let you have a listen.

i recently heard an almarro a205 amp at 4.8 watts driving a humongous genesis floorstander. effortless driving, but the el84 tended to be a little harsh when the vol's cranked up. i would expect the sun audio to be a different class and has been cited to be a pure 3.5 good watts.. even till max vol.

frankie was driving a pair of spendor floor standers with them when i was there, sounded pretty decent to me. i might be getting one of those amps from him soon. considering between commercial offerings of 2A3/300b variants right now

I dunno man, playing rob zombie or dream theater through 88db bookshelves driven by an amp outputting 3.5 watts seem to e a recipe for disaster. Maybe I can play it soft, but then what's the point? I'll have to stick to solid state 100w and above monsters biggrin.gif

The Cayin 300B amp is pretty good.

hmm.. interesting. i've yet to take a listen to their 300B but their mt12 was kinda ok only. the mt12 was generally smooth and lush till you turn the amp up to reference levels when it starts to sound a little harsh.

the only 300B amp from china that's in my consideration right now is the L'Auditoire 845/300B amp given its specs and build. 48kg lump of metal w00t.gif

I dunno man, playing rob zombie or dream theater through 88db bookshelves driven by an amp outputting 3.5 watts seem to e a recipe for disaster. Maybe I can play it soft, but then what's the point? I'll have to stick to solid state 100w and above monsters :))

I suppose you have not listen to the Sun 2A3 driving the Primus 360, i can tell you the results is Amazing! I still figuring out how the world this small watt amp can whack Slipknot like that. :party:

I suppose you have not listen to the Sun 2A3 driving the Primus 360, i can tell you the results is Amazing! I still figuring out how the world this small watt amp can whack Slipknot like that. :party:

Actually, I did speak to Frankie about this. He mentioned that the Sun 2A3 isn't very suitable for this kind of music on lower sensitivity speakers. It can deliver on the music but not the bass slams and definitely not if you don't have a listening area the size of your typical HDB room.

Actually, I did speak to Frankie about this. He mentioned that the Sun 2A3 isn't very suitable for this kind of music on lower sensitivity speakers. It can deliver on the music but not the bass slams and definitely not if you don't have a listening area the size of your typical HDB room.

You only speak to him about it, well you got to listen to it yourself. You are welcome to dropby and experience it.

You only speak to him about it, well you got to listen to it yourself. You are welcome to dropby and experience it.

I'm keen.. :))

Would like to see if such a setup can deliver bass-slam at my listening volumes.

well.. finally gave in and picked up my 2A3 today from martin.. very refined sound unlike the brash, slight edginess of my older 6550s

spent abt 1.5hrs listening and comparing with other amps including a single end kt88 etc, i was suprised by the quality of sound from the hammond transformers vs frankie's tamura irons.. might consider picking up a pair of lundahl to replace the output transformers in the future when i feel like tweaking though.

3 watts rms output. quite impressive. drove my 15 ohm 83db efficiency ls3/5a at slightly past half the knob to listening levels. not lacking in the musicality at all neither clipping nor distorting. i drove the amp to max vol on their own version of their ls3/5a at the shop 15 ohm too, there was no signs of clipping, nor audible distortion. very smooth.

pairing the amp with my 100db efficiency full ranger, excellent sound, driving it loud everything comes to life without the high sound pressures at all. man i should have gone 2A3 a lot earlier than poking arnd in el34s and kt88s. bass was delicate with decent slam and there was no lack of depth.. maybe because of the presence of abt 150 litres of air for the spkr to reflex in.. too bad i dont have space for a pair of maulhorns.. interesting design there's a pair of pots called the hum pot.. when i heard some humming at 100db eff, a slight turn of the pot reduced the hum to nothing :D something that most tube amps should come with

tube amps dont slam as well as digital amps. digital amps with their excellent power and damping, very fast sounding.. maybe the best marriage is to get a at least 3 way speaker biwirable, use a digital amp for the bass, and a tube amp for the highs/mids. but cant do that in my bed room :P

however the only speaker that proved me wrong so far was the escalante fremont. the fastest bass, powerful slams, a rock solid imaging.. suprisingly driven by a tube amp, a pair of 845 hyperion monoblocks. very interesting technology that nobody knows, direct coupling, and the only speaker that utilizes this patented discovery. if you're free drop by aural designs and take a listen, hefty price tag, but that sound is now my benchmark for "best sound".. beating almost all the systems i've heard in my life. the bass/percussion was even faster than the 18" subwoofer i've heard a few weeks ago at a hobbyist's home. its on my wishlist now guess i might be able to buy it after.. saving for.. 5yrs more.. gotta get a new car first as a priority.

Edited by neutralzz