Sign in to follow this  
yongchris

Using the Headmaster as a pre-amp

I've been ghosting on this forum for sometime now, occasionally recommending music, frankly, I'm getting downright itchy and I'm thinking of getting myself a proper rig.

I have no intention of letting go my speaker system, but.....the itch for headphones is there.

My current headphones are SR60s plugged into my NAD C370, and MX500s plugged into my PCDP. I rarely listen to headphones at home, in fact I've given my grados to my dad so that he can watch tv late at night while my mum is sleeping.

Since I don't want to give up my speaker system, and the headamps for home, and I don't want to have to change cables and I don't want a switch box to degrade the sound (yes, I'm damn picky, sorry). I was thinking that the headmaster might be perfect for my needs, since I am in the market for a preamp anyways.

I got 3 sources at home (CD, DVD, TV) and my amp has a pre-out/in, so I can use the NAD as a poweramp, bypassing it's preamp facilities. Use the headmaster as my pre, and also my headamp. (which means I will be buying new cans too)

Cut the long story short, has anyone used the headmaster as a preamp proper, and how does it sound? (I've looked online, but mostly it was as a headamp)

I have no particular taste in music, generally very eclectic selections(no country/western). but I value accuracy and transparency above all else (very PRAT).

Thanks in advance

Chris

Edited by yongchris

I've used the headmaster as pre-amp for like a week on my system. Above average sound, very sensitive, very fast, very transparent but not as warm as my tube pre. You will need a relatively good power amp to go with it.

Tested it with my electrostatic speakers n Classe power amp.

biggrin.gif

hmm an alternative to the Sugden and even better as both preamp and headphone amp is the Corda Prehead. Get the LM opamp version if PRaT is your thang :-). It really is a good preamp but doesnt come with a remote. On the plus side it does come witha gain switch and for headphones natural crossfeed.

there are many headamps which incomporates preamp functions. gilmore, ASL, sugden, singlepower etc. so your choice is not just limited to sugden.

Thanks everyone.

I checked the other suggestions by evil-zen and they are tube amps. err...nope, not for me.

The corda prehead looks interesting with enuff inputs as well, cept no remote, but won't sign off on that one yet. but remote is pretty important cos I sit in the same place to watch tv, listen to music and watch dvds (sometimes all at the same time smile.gif )

couldn't find the gilmore. which model is it?

thanks again.

Chris

Hi Chris, do you have any updates on your pre-amp? I'm also considering the Sugden Headmaster as Pre but don't know whether does it sounds good. Any guys have any comments? Thanks. wacko.gif

Edited by Transworld

how abt considering the headroom's amp?

Thanks, i already have a power amp. So looking for a pre to match it.

The headroom max can double as a preamp.

A pre-out is being added to my headphone amp as we speak so I'm now looking for a power amp myself. biggrin.gif

Edited by av98m

A pre-out is being added to my headphone amp as we speak so I'm now looking for a power amp myself. biggrin.gif

Try out the Sun Audio 2A3, you will like it. happy.gif

where can I find the Headmaster in Singapore?? anywhere I can try it??

You can go to Electrades at Adelphi. They are the sole agent. Should be level 5.

A pre-out is being added to my headphone amp as we speak so I'm now looking for a power amp myself.  biggrin.gif

Try out the Sun Audio 2A3, you will like it. happy.gif

I doubt it will work well with my 88db speakers. Probably clip.