Sign in to follow this  
Gabriel Possenti

Cayin HA-1 question...

What is the difference between Ultralinear & Triode Mode? I get alot of hum in Ultra but not alot in Triode. Could it be a faulty unit or bad tubes? I took the advice and put two 8ohm resistors on the speaker leads and it seemed to help a bit. I'm in America.

Mine didn't make any hum at normal volume with or without music playing in both modes. Are you using the stock tubes? What do you have placed close to the amp & what other units are plugged into you power outlet?

Mine doesn't hum at all either, but I would like to know the difference between the two modes as well. The manual is rather sparse. dry.gif

Edited by red_ryder

Theoretically speaking, Triode design sounds best with music that carries lotsa vocals while ultralinear offers better speed and dynamics.

Gib: I reckon U should tilt your power tubes and perhaps the input/buffer tubes in all direction and check if the hum can be reduced or totally rectified. One of a pair of GE EL84s has this problem and all I need to do is simply tilt it to an angle while maintaining solid contact with the socket.

Edited by Mackie

The EL84 tube type does exhibit a bit more noise than others (like the EL34). Check if your toroid transformer has a sheild over it. If it does and the noise is experienced at normal listening levels then maybe you should try getting a pair of new EL84 tubes from Ned Carlson of www.triodeelectronics.com

He has some info on the various EL84 types and is a better person to seek advice on which brand would generally be less prone to microphonics.

Do you experience more or less noise with the sepector swithc set to 121 - 300 ohms. If there is nore noise at the 121-300 ohm setting then chances are its the tubes.

You could also try some tube dampers but once a tube goes microphonic there really nothing to be done except replacing it.

BTW, is it hum or hiss? If it's hiss then transformers do exhibit some hiss.

Lastly is there any other equipment like a computer or TV sharing the same outlet or near the amp?