red_ryder

Cdp with good synergy with DT931s and Spark HA-1A?

Well you could try a better interconnect for starters. The GY107 is okay as a super low budget IC but not as good as some in the below 100 cat. Saw some low end Zu cables at Music By Design the other day around S$110 for 1m pair - it's said to be warm sounding.

N3W,

Do read what Blues said - the top end is harsh - then do read what you said - harsh sounding sound ( the two are very different). And slightly edgy top end is not = to harsh top end. Slightly is equals to a tad or a bit. BTW I thought you has the Marantz CD 6000 OSE as well.

Anyways try the Ei EL84 if that doesnt warm things up the try a Mullard CV4003 (back position) and if that isnt warm enough try the Mullard CV4004 (front position). The reason I'm suggesting this and not the other way arround is because the Mullard CV4004 is the most expensive tube here. Or you can wait till I've finished tube rolling - about 3 to 4 weeks at least.

ya is truth but ... buget also important as it can determine ... what he wanna get !.... well i think! he should spend some time .... listening to some cdp player around his buget range of prices ! laugh.giflaugh.gif O.o find the BEST combo .. for your setup .... then worry less on upgrades later ! cool.gif can save more ! w00t.gif

To Rameish and friends who view this thread ...

thanks for pointing out my mistake ... ya is the highs are harsh sounding ...

( sorry dunno why and what reasons cause me to FORGET the "highs" word needed to place in there or else it may have confuse you all .. Thanks again to Rameish !! ) sorry i am a kinda lazy typer ... LOL

Edited by N3w_Typ3

To get back on track, yes you could always try a 2nd hand cdp in your budget range like the Marantz mentioned here or you could optimise what you have already bought. That is a change in CDP is not gonna eliminate the need for a change in tubes IMO of course. What's gonna happen is you'll probably end up having to change the tubes as well. Try the CD 6000 OSE if you must or the newer CD 5300 mentioned by Mackie somewhere here I think.

The Ei EL84 does not cost much - just under S$40 for a pair (I believe Mackie paid S$38 for a pair from Well Audio Labs in Burlington Square) The Mullard CV4003 is S$45 and the CV4004 is ex (check current prices with Well Audio Labs). Also set the impedence to 121-300 ohms at the back of your Spark HA-1A. It's more full sounding. The Chinese 12AX7 is really bright and edgy IMO. I have yet to try the JJ ECC83S which is a copy of the Telefunken - these are near exact copies of the rare Telefunken ECC803s (not the flat-plate versions but the more expensive frame-grid style. The Ei 12AX7 on the other hand is a copy of the flat-plate Telefunken ECC83. These two tubes have a top end sparkle when I tried them in other amps. As to whether they are suited for your system - well let me try them and report back.

Also do get a better copper interconnect and sell the Klotz.

The Ei EL84 does not cost much - just under S$40 for a pair (I believe Mackie paid S$38 for a pair from Well Audio Labs in Burlington Square)

To be exact, I paid $32 for a pair of Ei Yugo EL84s.

I've have reviewed and am currently using Klotz GY107 on my HT system. I'm confident it's not the culprit behind the brightness that red ryder is experiencing. More often that not, this cable faces criticism for being slightly fat in the bass and roll-off highs. However, synergy of Denon cdp and this cable may contribute to this trait and only a change of either variable can confirm.

Edited by Mackie

mackie what a HT system ??? sorry to side track ! happy.gif

O.o thanks !