Sign in to follow this  
yongchris

I'm a junkie!

Just bought this amazing album from HMV(spore), cost me a whopping $41 but worth every penny.

Cowboy Junkies - In the time before Llamas

user posted image

I've got all the junkies' albums (live and studio) and this has got to be the best of the lot(yes, I think it's even better than trinity sessions, which WAS my previous fav). fantastic recording (BBC) in a small, cosy theatre (Manchester Royal Exchange Theatre). Only the core members play on this session so the sound is not so cluttered, and the soundstage and instrument seperation is incredible. I dunno abt phones, but on my speaker system, it was pure magic. Her voice was very closely miked, so you can hear every nuance of her breathing and singing. I was listening to it last night and I swear, it gave me goose pimples.

Also, the interpretations of the songs are not their standards. This set is much more mellow. They play the same songs, but the pace is much slower and melancholy. Superb!!!

A definite must buy for junkie fans.

Chris

[edited] If you look at the album cover, that's exactly how the sound comes out, the guitar to the left, her voice slighty off center to the right and the drums behind her. The bass doesn't seem to come from an exact place(which is always true for live sets) and the harmonica is on the right. For those of you on headphones without crossfeed, it'll sound abit strange cos of the instrument seperation.

[edited again] The word I was looking for is "Haunting" the sound of this album is haunting(and not in a bad way).

Edited by yongchris

Whoah! Added to my shopping list! Thanks for the heads-up.