Sign in to follow this  
wil

Qns on impedance

Hello all, have a qns. Recently purchased a SR125. I know it has 32 impedance. However, the amp im using at home is a really old integrated amp ( NAD 3155 ). Ive heard that it can drive cans of impedance up to 600 ohms. Would this have any adverse on sound? Would getting a dedicated headamp DRAMATICALLY improve sound? And would my amp's high power output have a degrading effect on my the low impedance Grados? Thanks in advance!

The power rating of your amp is via speakers output and has no credence on what's that's coming out from the headphone socket.

Of course a dedicated headamp is usually better than what's out from your amp's headphone socket. I don't think your amp has difficulty in handling low impedance cans. So rest easy.

I have been driving a pair of Sens using an integrated amp for the longest time, I dun think you have any problems with driving your 125s with an amp.

The difference between my integrated amp setup and the headamp setup is the noise. There was perceptable hiss coming from the integrated. Then again, I believe the amp isn't that highend anyway. And on top of that, they probably tried to save some on the headphone out in any case, making it worse. Moving up the integrated amp foodchain, you will seldom see a phone output. wink.gif

One question....Just had a Cayin HA-1A brought in from China. Using my SR-125s on it. At the impedenzer at the back, with 0-32 ohms setting, i noticed quite abit of humming, but when i change the impedence to s step up eg > 32 ohms, the humming is lessened remarkably. Will the higher impedence damage the Sr125s ( as its impedence is only rated at 32 ohms ) Or will a higher impedence from the Cayin actually benefit the Grado sound? wacko.gif

One question....Just had a Cayin HA-1A brought in from China. Using my SR-125s on it. At the impedenzer at the back, with 0-32 ohms setting, i noticed quite abit of humming, but when i change the impedence to s step up eg > 32 ohms, the humming is lessened remarkably. Will the higher impedence damage the Sr125s ( as its impedence is only rated at 32 ohms ) Or will a higher impedence from the Cayin actually benefit the Grado sound? wacko.gif

The impedence setting on the amp refers to the impedence of the headphones.

Yeah i know. So say 0-32 ohms is suited for the Sr125s. But with that, comes the humming. Above 32 ohms, the humming is lessened. But will the SR125s handle the higher impedence without being damaged?

hm. ok. i guess my qns is answered yet again. Thanks all! w00t.gif