Sign in to follow this  
Firefox

Mad mod world - May Edition

Cool idea, I'll have mine with red for the Right channel & blue for the Left channel.

Sound man, how do they sound? tongue.gif

It does sound better(bigger soundstage, more air), though i can't say if its due to the diff connectors, different cable, the left/right channel separation or the good old placebo effect. And the cable isn't even burnt in. tongue.gif

the mogami cables can be bought from team108 located in some ulu building at 55 Gentling Lane, 4th floor. check out their website at team108.com

there is a smaller more flexible starquad mogami that is more suitable for headphones(the 2534 may be too heavy for some, esp if you're using 2 runs), can't remember the part number. it is only available in black however.

Edited by av98m

Extra leaflets:

Just bought a Pioneer PD-S904 CDP today. Sunk in an upgrade after just an hour of getting home.

Replacing the Elna Silmic & Starget caps for the DAC's with Sanyo Oscon and Panasonic HFZ (Lower imp. than FC) caps respectively. One channel is already done.

post-12-1085321754.jpg

Bypassed the opamps (special (PITA) 9-pin SIL opamps courtesy of JRC) with 0.1uF Multi-layered ceramic caps:

post-12-1085321897.jpg

Other stuff:

Removed the solder on the opamps and output RCA jacks. Replaced with WBT silver solder on the signal paths. Power pins of the opamps were soldered with Kester Eutectic solder.

Improvements?

Better seperation, details and less muddied sound.

Guest Ruach

Have fun biggrin.gif

There are tonnes of mods that you can do to the 904.

I've heard an extensively modded S904 and I must say the mods certainly shaved more than a couple of years from the 10+ years old cdp with good results.