Sign in to follow this  
wil

Tube-rolling?!

Hello, as a few of you guys might know already, im a new ( and proud ) owner of the Cayin HA-1A ( Bought straight from the mainland at approximately 450 SGD heh ) I've heard that the stock tubes in the Cayin are rather "grainy" and by changing the russian/chinese tubes, the graininess will be reduced while enhancing warmth and sound-depth.

Having said so, it is rather obvious that im interested in tube-rolling. However, being relatively new to this, I have no idea what tubes are suitable and HOW to change the tubes. Is it as simple as taking out the cover and removing the tubes and replacing them with new tubes? ( I.e. Changing light-bulbs ) Or is it something slightly more complicated.

Also, which tubes can help achieve a lush sound while helping to reduce the grainy sound and at the same time help to to tigthen and perhaps extend the bass response to a tad lower ? ( I.e. Making it more suitable for Jazz and perhaps a little metal/rock )

Sorry to disturb you guys again happy.gif

if i`ve not mistaken. the stock tubes are chinese. well, i`m not familiar with the particular model but my advice would be to change them to NOS tubes for a little better sound. i don`t advocate tube rolling but if you really want to, its an expensive and rather "hit-and-miss" process.

i actually prefer modifying the innards. reap much better results at fractions of the price. biggrin.gif

and yes. tubes are easy to change. just like light bulbs. or even easier.

Hello, as a few of you guys might know already, im a new ( and proud ) owner of the Cayin HA-1A ( Bought straight from the mainland at approximately 450 SGD heh ) I've heard that the stock tubes in the Cayin are rather "grainy" and by changing the russian/chinese tubes, the graininess will be reduced while enhancing warmth and sound-depth.

Having said so, it is rather obvious that im interested in tube-rolling. However, being relatively new to this, I have no idea what tubes are suitable and HOW to change the tubes. Is it as simple as taking out the cover and removing the tubes and replacing them with new tubes? ( I.e. Changing light-bulbs ) Or is it something slightly more complicated.

Also, which tubes can help achieve a lush sound while helping to reduce the grainy sound and at the same time help to to tigthen and perhaps extend the bass response to a tad lower ? ( I.e. Making it more suitable for Jazz and perhaps a little metal/rock )

Sorry to disturb you guys again happy.gif

The grainy sound which you have heard may not be due to your amp. It could be due to your headphones, ICs or your source.