Sign in to follow this  
wil

ITS BURNING! ITS BURNING!

ok im pissed. i ignorantly changed the tubes in my cayin ha-1a and apparently they were the wrong ones. i turned on the power and i saw smoke coming out and the smell of burnt plastic. i squeeked like a girl and immediately turned off the power. removing the cover, i discovered that a single transistor on the PCB board was burnt.

Qns1: Is it still safe to run the cayin without it catching fire and burning the sh!t out of me while i listen to my music ( if yes, proceed to qns 2 )

Qns 2: Is it still safe for me to tube roll the cayin without it catching fire and burning the sh!t out of me while i listen to my music ( if yes, thank you very much for your help! )

HELPPPPPPPPPP

gulp. I am new to the business but may I dare try to provide another perspective. When you said wrong tubes, did you mean wrong specifications? Do tubes have polarity?

Please get the unit checked by a technician/electrician before you ever turn it on again. Safety first. Maybe it could be a problem with the power supply.

Btw, i dont think its the power supply.......cos it still powers up perfectly now. Its just the transistor that im worried about. Btw, what is a burnt transistor indicative of?

Hmmm anywhere i could get it checked?

Gabriel at Zenn Audio, TS Lim of Diva, Audio Note SG technician or Rameish/Firefox.

ahh.... burn resistor. my guess that the tube was off speced. its probably a plate resistor. since resistors don`t short across, it safe to turn on but i don`t advice you to. its a simple repair job. should cost too much. i`d be happy to take a look. biggrin.gif

Hmm..thx for the help..ive already sought help from Frankie of Well audio..he's a very nice guy!

lol...why so ?

Come to tube stuff, Frankie is a nice fellow. But bring in amp base on sand, it was a different story.

But recent times he seem to have changed for the better. Had a rather pleasant experience when I told him I'm doing a sand project.

Edited by jtfoo

very surprising to hear....

He's quite a nice fella actually... I guess you keep catching him in a foul mood... LOL!