Sign in to follow this  
peekarwe

Need help for buying PCDP

Hi all,

I have a very old PCDP (Sony D-E805) which I am looking to replace. It's quite slim and batteries run for like 30 hours (no sh*t, 2 AAs, without ESP). But nevermind the battery life. I want a PCDP which has no extra features, except good sound. I don't want Groove, XBS, SoundExpander, BombDABass system, Legato Link, wat-ever-bass-sh*te you might call it in the player.

Can anyone help me recommend a simple no frills player for less than $300? I know I can turn off those things but I get the impression that the 'off' position has been detuned by the manufacturer to showcase how good their 'sound-enhancer' works. So, I basically just want a PCDP without those. I want to bring it to office for CDs only.

If u do not mind old players, which the sound is very good, u can consider old used models from Sony, Technics and Philips. These units probably are no good for portable use but u are using in the office anyway.

Why not bring your D-E805 to your office if it is still working fine? You will be surprise how good these old players are compared to the new generation PCDP where portability, battery life are considered in priority to sonic performance. I do not have any experience with your model though.

I am using the 805 in the office now. It's just that I get damn irritated by the bass boost and GROOVE function. And so I am looking at units without those tech wizardry.

Try Iriver.

peekarwe, first and foremost, Pioneer's Legato Link does not serve to boost bass. Some vintage pcdps like Sony D777 (sold mine to a fellow forumer) sounds brilliant on the raw albeit bass boost is available. I regret to say units with gimmicks do not automatically qualify as duds and the reverse is true too.

I'm currently using a Panasonic Sl-CT790 and despite its less desirable sound from headphone output, its line out/digital out is a much better story. Btw, will U be looking to amp the signal from pcdp?

Hi, yep, I have a Pioneer with the legato link. smile.gif It just irks me to have the available option of those bass boost things, that's all.

I am looking to amplify the signal from the pcdp. So, a line level output which is really clean would be nice.

Mackie, question if you can help me. Does the lineout on PCDP (probably generalising) output at line level outputs even come close to full size CDPs? I bet it ranges from anything like 2V to 5V for different decks but what about the PCDP's lineout?

Naw..afraid not. Unbalanced (RCA) Line output of cdp decks vary from 2-2.5V. Only balanced output charts > 3V. I guess signal strength from pcdp line out is significantly lower than 2V but generally of better quality than headphone out.

Edited by Mackie

I am ashamed, but I didn't know that my PCDP has a lineout until about an hour ago. TropicalRips was trying out his CMOY when he plugged into the lineout, which was labelled optical out but ALSO serves as a lineout. So, I have been plugging my CDP through headphone out for the longest time. Shame.

I am going to try line out from the pcdp when I get home today. Do you think that lineout Voltage is higher than phoneout voltage at max volume? I am sure there will be less distortion, even if it's the same.

lineout is meant to drive a load of 10kohms but head out around 16-300ohms usually. You can't really compare head out and line out, because really there's a variable there, which is the build in amp of the head out vs the amp you use from the line out. What are can really do is compared how the head out performs RELATIVE to other PCDPs in general and similarly for the line out. Hope you get what I'm trying to say laugh.gif

Generally from I've tried so far, amps sound softer when plugged into head out as compared to line out. OTOH, heaphones plug into line out sound louder than headout, unless the headout has tonnes of juice, like the D777 for example, the headout can definitely go louder than lineout driving headphones.

Edited by lekguan

If U have been used to the sound from headphone out, the quality of its line out will introduce U to a whole new plateau, which will certainly defer your intention to buy a new pcdp. Bass boost/tone controls are bypassed en route to line out.

I'm a newbie here, but let me try to explain. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The head-out circuit means that the signal will pass through the head-out amp, the volume control circuit, and the equalizer circuits if any. These circuits will tend to color the sound a bit, which could be a good thing if you like the built in circuits (which are frequently of low quality, low powered components to save on cost and batteries).

The line-out reproduces the signal more faithfully as it doesn't pass through the abovementioned circuits. It could be more neutral sounding which is better if you want to amp the output.

And in order to tell if its a line-out/head-out, if the output signal is affected by volume controls, equalizer settings, etc, it is probably a head-out. If the output signal remains consistent regardless of how much you tweak the volume control, the equalizer etc, that means its probably a line-out.

AFAIK, only the NJB3 has a true line-out that is not affected by equalizer (EAX), volume or anything else. The IRiver 550's line out volume is affected by the built-in volume control, thus its not considered a "true" line-out in the sense.

Am I right?

Edited by LiquidFX

If U have been used to the sound from headphone out, the quality of its line out will introduce U to a whole new plateau, which will certainly defer your intention to buy a new pcdp. Bass boost/tone controls are bypassed en route to line out.

Mackie, you are spot on. That day, I just got the headamp hooked up through lineout and listening to it is pure joy. Much like a free upgrade! The bass extension is infinitely better! On the headout, I had to limit the volume a little as the bass extension was crackling. On the lineout, ZERO problems. Very clean bass.

AFAIK, only the NJB3 has a true line-out that is not affected by equalizer (EAX), volume or anything else. The IRiver 550's line out volume is affected by the built-in volume control, thus its not considered a "true" line-out in the sense.

You are probably mostly right. But I think you confused headout with lineout in one of the paras. Read carefully. smile.gif Anyway, on PCDPs with lineout, there is definitely a headout. So, there are two.

The Sony 805 I am using now also has a true lineout/optical out (really didn't realise for YEARS), so not just limited to NJB3. This has now become a new criteria for buying PCDPs already. laugh.gif