Sign in to follow this  
peekarwe

Why are most audiophiles guys?

It's probably my miserably small social circle but why is it that all the audiophiles I have come across so far all males?

Except for Carina Lau in Internal Affairs II (Wu Jian Dao), playing the Chai Chin song.... wah lao.... my kind of woman man....at least she'll understand the part about $1500 CD players.

there are a few ladies out there as well.... just need to keep ya eyes peeled..

In general:

They'd prefer to spend their money on a few gucci or fendi bags and other accessories. You don't see men buying a 1k bag for himself right? Its about priorities I guess...

But then again females have better hearing right? What a waste!

Haha! I am trying to get my wife to enjoy the music. She can pick out some naunces in some music passages which I can hardly believe her when she said she could, in a blind test.

But she's still not into it. I bought her a pair of EX71s and she feels that it is uncomfortableand she'll make do with the music from the creative earphones. Yikes! I think they have better hearing, but that doesn't mean they will want to make use of the better hearing.

They'd prefer to spend their money on a few gucci or fendi bags and other accessories. You don't see men buying a 1k bag for himself right? Its about priorities I guess...

So it boils down to money? For purpose of discussion, I dun think so. Let's say you are REALLY rich. Would you spend one 1K on a bag? I mean. Ok, everything is relative. If you spend $5k on a stereo, what's the max you would spend on a wallet/briefcase? $300? $500? If you spend $50k on a stereo, would you spend $5k on a bag? Yes right? So, we should talk in relative terms.

Then again, maybe not, $5k on a bag? Siao.

But she's still not into it. I bought her a pair of EX71s and she feels that it is uncomfortableand she'll make do with the music from the creative earphones. Yikes! I think they have better hearing, but that doesn't mean they will want to make use of the better hearing.

Have an EX70(not 71, but previously owned 51) and it doesn't exactly do music nicely. Too much bass and lack in airiness, A LOT. perhaps thats also the reason why she didn't want them. Sometimes I put on a earphone after listening to it for a long time and its like, a breath of fresh air!

So it boils down to money? For purpose of discussion, I dun think so. Let's say you are REALLY rich. Would you spend one 1K on a bag? I mean. Ok, everything is relative. If you spend $5k on a stereo, what's the max you would spend on a wallet/briefcase? $300? $500? If you spend $50k on a stereo, would you spend $5k on a bag? Yes right? So, we should talk in relative terms.

What I said was that it all boils down to priorities. $10K stereo. If you think its good, you will say its worth all your money. $100 wallet. If you think a $20 wallet will cut it out, what for buy the $100 one? If you don't find a need for something, even a few dollars is expensive. OTOH if something costs a year of your salary but you really want it, its nothing!

OK let's not get started.

no no, sorry there. I didn't intend to heat things up, just for discussion. Cool? smile.gif Anyway, yes, I am one of those who spend money irrationally when it comes to hobbies. I am 100% guilty when it comes to these things.

Anyway, back on track, do audiophones listen out for the music itself or what the equipment does to the music? If it's like trying to find out what cable A does to the music, it's little wonder why ladies in general do not appreciate this.

Let's think out of the box for a moment, we audiophiles or audio hobbits (hobbists, hobbyts...whatever) generally err towards trying too hard to detect nuances of every note, accessory and system as opposed to enjoying the music in whatever form it's being presented. Maybe the ladies are more intelligent in this sense. LOL. hammer.gif Of couse, the opposite sex also has a weakness for something which we men think its nonsensical. To each his own. After all, we are from Mars and they from Venus....opposites attract.....blah blah blah.

Sometimes its better not to have people around you with better systems. You see, you don't know what you are lacking until you try something better. Might as well stay with the micro hifi and be in the dark. smoke.gif

no no, sorry there. I didn't intend to heat things up, just for discussion. Cool? 

Ah yeah, I'm as cool as a polar bear, just trying to prevent anything from happening before it happens. innocent.gif

Sometimes its better not to have people around you with better systems. You see, you don't know what you are lacking until you try something better. Might as well stay with the micro hifi and be in the dark. smoke.gif

Haha, how true! I got into this 'mess' just because someone let me audition his system AND headphones at the same time. Hifi/music/sound (whatever ya might call it) is something where there is no turning back. I mean, after you hear all the details, ask you to go back to your micro, you know that there is something missing already.

You won't look back.