Sign in to follow this  
bzy83

NEED A HEADPHONE AMP

I'm surprised for I own a Panasonic Sl-CT790 and connected to Porta Corda II via line/optical output but I detect no hiss at all. In fact, connection via headphone out results in lower gain, higher noise level and also a somewhat compressed sound - in terms of soundstaging dimensions.

I mean, if there is no volume on the headamp, I can hear hissing sound when using iRiver volume (their line out is volumed). When using headamp with volume, no hissing sound heard. This is my experience, because I think iMP-150 line out is not so clean, so the hiss level will be audible when amplified.

Probably your SL-CT790 is cleaner than the iMP-150.

bpribadi,maybe I can help you get the good case.

such as this OEM case,the size is 100x60x200mm,pre-drill vol+headphone out jack+ac power+input.

Thanks a lot Digi! I will consider your offer yes.gif

At the moment my next headamp is still in concept, so still long time until I need a casing.

Thanks anyway! headphone.gif

Bram

I'm surprised for I own a Panasonic Sl-CT790 and connected to Porta Corda II via line/optical output but I detect no hiss at all. In fact, connection via headphone out results in lower gain, higher noise level and also a somewhat compressed sound - in terms of soundstaging dimensions.

I mean, if there is no volume on the headamp, I can hear hissing sound when using iRiver volume (their line out is volumed). When using headamp with volume, no hissing sound heard. This is my experience, because I think iMP-150 line out is not so clean, so the hiss level will be audible when amplified.

Probably your SL-CT790 is cleaner than the iMP-150.

I'd like to believe that when you use your headamp with lineout you'll have to turn down the volume quite a fair bit?

My guess would be that your gain is too high. Try lowering the gain until you get normal listening volume at about 75% of the lineout volume (just an anyhow suggestion, so that u get and idea)

My guess would be that your gain is too high. Try lowering the gain until you get normal listening volume at about 75% of the lineout volume (just an anyhow suggestion, so that u get and idea)

The gain is 5.7, so I guess it is not too high, but the line out of my PCDP (iMP-150) is not clean (with hiss). When I got time I will post my theory why we need volume pot, based on my experienced.

wondering if anyone can build me a heapdhone amp..wish to use it for future headphoens i may buy for my ipod (Sr80 or 60, or maybe some other headphones, ill read up recommendaqtions) meanwhile i wish to use it with the sony ex71 or my sennheiser hd270...wondering if anyone builds and sells portable amps here?

If you're getting a clean signal from your headphone out and not one from your line out then you probably have a faulty unit. If you line out is variable (via the volume pot of your unit) then it's not a true line out as most PCDP output 0.6 to 0.7 volts (way lower than the volume out of the headphone socket).

Huffy, post a wtb(want-to-buy) in the classifieds and how much yer prepared to pay for one...that should do the trick