Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Mad Mod World - June Issue

Jason, it was nice to breath new life into an old cdp. The result was quite unexpected - I did expect improvements but not of this nature. Only problem is you can only do this or some of this if you have a 16bit chipset in your cdp. Alternatively, buy a new chip and build a NOS DAC unit.

I must admit I got carried away with the mods :-) but knowing I had a new lens unit in it and the fact it was of the older swing arm mech helped me justify the cost of the mods.

The Philip DAC chip that you mention seems to be a legendary chip and very well known for it's good sound. The dACK! DAC carry this chip too.

Yeah that chip has 4 incarnations that I know of:

TDA1541 S2 (Double Crown)

TDA1541 (stay away from this one)

TDA1541A

TDA1541 S1 (Single Crown)

Not all people who like this chip agree on which sounds the best but most agree that the TDA1541 had many QC issues and is inferior to the other 3.

As for me all this is new to me lol so since the TDA1541A is generally accepted as a good chip (some even say better than the 1543 since the 1541A/S1/S2 is more analogue sounding) and the fact that the CDM-4 Philips Mech is also highly regarded I said what the heck, lets find out shall we?

The Ack Dack I think uses the TDA1545T which is a simple multi bit chip that is still in production I think. Hey I'm new to this NOS stuff. Just got my feet wet a few months back.

Well I'm gonna explore further when funds allow and my energy returns.

I've also modded my Pioneer PD-S904 player at about the same time. Pictures can be seen under my Yahoo Pictures Folder at: PD-S904 Mods

Other mods including re-casing and seperate analog + coaxial output stages will be done at some other time.

Edited by Firefox