Sign in to follow this  
heady

My CMOYs

Goondu,

Got the red Hudson tins from Shell Select shops but you can also find them in supermart. I know that the NTUC minimart inside Terminal 1 Departure hall has 3 types of this tins, the yellow ones are nice but so far can't find them elsewhere. Oops, I was in the minimart yesterday and forgot to get more yellow tins, must wait for next trip.

As per what bpribadi said, you need bigger caps and they have a hard time fitting into the tin with 2 batteries. I am waiting for my volume pot and then I will case this amp, just to see if the cap fit into the tin as I calculated it would. But then, I have been wrong many times. wink.gif

BTW bpribadi, you are building a PPA right? Did you buy the board from Tangent or rolling your own? Also have you tried your AD8610s yet? I got two of them as samples, wondering if they will give me two more.

Thanks for your contribution, bpribadi.

Realise there isn't a pic of the tin. This pic is of my second CMOY, since torn apart. Instead of a volume pot, I used a switch to set the gain. Not a good idea, the difference in volume was not as expected.

Hudson_tin.jpg

I was asked to fax my hand-drawn schematic to a member but could not, so here is a small pic of it. Please pardon the horrible drawing. I will fax it when I can get access to a fax or if you prefer, send the full resolution pic to you. Sorry.

cmoy_schem.jpg

do you think there is space to squeeze in a modified Linkwitz acoustic simulator in the tin?

Thought of making them into one and with the option of turning the acoustic simulator on/off by a switch

Goondu, if you are planning on two 9V batteries, I don't think so. I prefer the sound with two batteries which is why I am going thru all the possible ways to reduce the size to accomodate the two batteries and also the second opamp for the ground/virtual ground. Once my volume pots come in a few days time, I will case this amp and see how much space is left. I will post the pics then.

Actually, with the new 100K R2 resistors broken in after a day, this CMOY doesn't sound so bad after all. The sense of the ambience of the music is back. Any way it sounds better. But restless tinkerers don't ever get satisfied do they.

BTW bpribadi, you are building a PPA right? Did you buy the board from Tangent or rolling your own? Also have you tried your AD8610s yet? I got two of them as samples, wondering if they will give me two more.

Hi Heady,

I haven't start to build the PPA yet. I'm going to use matrix PCB for my project tongue.gif I know it is a bad habbit, but old habbit die hard, and I'm too lazy to learn Protel etc. to make a good printed PCB. Anyone willing to print me the PCB ? tongue.gif

And I also going to have the LM6171 in it, so still building the test board for the LM6171 (60% populated) to prove my concept. So the PPA for general use, and the LM6171 headphone output will be for different flavor of sound.

The reason I don't buy PPA PCB is because of the fuse protection for the buffers. I'm going to protect all of them with fuses, so not possible using the PPA 1.1 board. Must wait until they accept my idea and make a new board biggrin.gif

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80246

user posted image

Realise there isn't a pic of the tin. This pic is of my second CMOY, since torn apart. Instead of a volume pot, I used a switch to set the gain. Not a good idea, the difference in volume was not as expected.

Nice work and photography!

bpribadi, thanks. Photography's my other hobby.

Well, the big components will be the caps. IC and resistors are small. But small cap doesn't give good sound, so consider that wink.gif

It's time to try out DC-servo.

No CAP in the signal path is the BEST. wink.gif

Ooohh... Yeeeaaaa.... You are very right !!! If possible don't use any cap on the audio line yes.gif

Headphone can take a few mV DC without any problem, so don't worry about it.

Finally cased my 3 channel cmoy. This is the "naked" view. Still missing the LED as I haven't decide what type to use.

3ch_cmoy.jpg

Just finished and delivered this cmoy in an Altoid tin to a friend.

cmoy_in_altoid.jpg

Sorry about the pics but just want to encourage others. This is the internal view. BTW - I use a hole puncher this time instead of a drill and it was so EASY. Hole puncher is $1.35 from Popular bookshop. Get the one with 6mm hole.

cmoy_in_altoid2.jpg