Sign in to follow this  
sigma

Buying cans

It seems that Shure warranties are not valid if I buy from a shop here in Singapore? What happens if I buy from a US online store then, how do I go about exchanging/servicing it if something happens?

What about other brands (e.g. Ety, Grado, Beyer)?

Simple. Read the online stores' return/warranty policies before purchasing. If the terms are not clearly stated or you have problems comprehending them, send the store an email with your questions(be explicit please).

It seems that Shure warranties are not valid if I buy from a shop here in Singapore? What happens if I buy from a US online store then, how do I go about exchanging/servicing it if something happens?

By warranty I assume you meant exchange period.

If you're buying from Todd the Vinyl Junkie there is a 30 day money back guarantee however you will have to fork out the cost of returning the items back to him. At the moment, all his headphones are 10% off of the listed prices. I believe Scriberex has made a few transactions with them & has returned an item without any hassles.

Then there's Idealsounds. Their prices are the cheapest around (i.e. online). However the return policy is within 14 days. I have made one transaction with them before & it went smoothly albeit you have to make sure you follow up on the progress after confirmation of purchase. Having said that I would deal with them again in the future.

Concerning local, IIRC there was quite a few threads about purchasing Shures locally & it was mentioned that they do honour some sort of warranty. Try using the search function above to read what has been posted about before. Alternatively try calling/visiting the shop as mentioned in this thread to find out for yourself.

Some points to note about warranty.

1st thing is that these stuff can't really break down unless you put them under some uber heavy stuff that the casing cracks, or like the Shure e1c, there was a short period when there were manufactuting fault. Well they recalled those stock for an exchange anyway.

2nd thing is that for warranty to work, you'd have to send the pair which spoiled not due to mishandling back to USA and you have to pay shipping by yourself. Considering the waiting time, plus the shipping fees, it wouldn't be worth it unless its just a month or two old, or you are buying e5c(perhaps e3c also).

Hence I believe the 30-day return policy would make a more reasonable sense for us than the warranty. People prefer to buy online because of the 30-day no questions asked return policy which unfortunately is nearly non-existent in Singapore, and for the few dollars saved.

Basically for cans, its kinda hard to find a pair with manufacturing fault, especially with the well known brands.

Okay then, how about buying 2nd hand. Dun really care about being the first or subsequent owner, so I think I should get one second hand first.

The Classified section here isn't really very active, so where can I find some 2nd hand offerings (either online or in a physical shop)? I understand head-fi has a good classified section but I will prefer not to get it from overseas if I've a choice.

Well, you can start by putting up a WTD (Want Ad) in the Classifieds here or echoloft.com. Otherwise try your luck searching through Yahoo Shopping/Auctions.sg or ebay.sg. If you're in a hurry you can't beat Head-Fi.

I have sent an email to Shure and I got the following reply from them.

[reply]:

The item still has a 2 year warranty even though it was discontinued and bough overseas.

Hi Shure,

I am from Singapore, and I am intending to purchase the E1C model earphones. Fortunately, I found a dealer which still carries stock of this. However, I am worried about the warranty. I understand that this model has been discontinued and replaced by the E3C, and I was also informed that the 2 year warranty does not cover items purchased overseas.

Could I please get some confirmation from you? If I do purchase the E1C, and it is from an authorised dealer, would I still receive the 2 year warranty as claimed by your webpage? As the E1C has been discontinued, would the item still be covered, with parts available for repair/replacement?

Thank you