red_ryder

Need some advice on possible setup

Ok, this is my situation:

I'm using the Spark HA-1A for music listening via cans, but it's barely sufficient to drive my speakers. I got to turn the volume knob to almost 12 oclock position just to get reasonable volume. I also have a HT receiver that can drive the speakers very well, but the headphone jack is spoilt.

Is there any way for me to connect my cdp to both the HA-1A and the receiver? Alternatively, can I use the HA-1A as the preamp and connect it to the receiver? The HA-1A as pre-outs, but I don't know where to plug in for the receiver end (also not sure what cables to use, I'm completely new to this preamp business).

And on a related question : if a tube preamp is connected to a solid-state power amp, do you still get that warm distinctive "tube sound"?

Ha ha! Maybe my RCA splitter thread can solve your problem.

To use the Spark as preamp your HT receiver need a pre-in. Not sure your receiver supports this.

I am not a tube person so cannot answer your tube question. I ever asked an expert on SS pre and tube poweramp, the answer is yes you will get the tube characteristics.

You're right, fuwen. The receiver does not pre-in, so I was afraid of connecting the Spark, in case something blows.

I read your RCA splitter thread, it's very interesting. As an alternative to splitting the RCA cable, are there switch boxes with multiple audio outs? That is, cdp ---> switch box ---> Spark HA-1A and Receiver. Although I worry if the switch box will affect the sound quality adversely.

You can use the HA-1A as a preamp as it is designed as such. All you have to do is run a pair of interconnects from the outputs of the Cayin to your Reciever's inputs. In theory at least you should still get the "warm" charactersitic sound.

I believe the reason why the amp can't drive your speakers very well on it's own is because the speakers are not sensitive enough. Your speakers should be at least be capable of 94dB SPL (ideally 96dB).

N@z, my receiver does not have any pre-in inputs. So can I just connect the HA-1A to any line input?

i use HA-1A as a pre-amp and use my MC cormack power drive DNA1 as the power amp and the sound is warmer than my solid stae pre-amp MC Cormack.

I never use tube before so i can not really compare if the sound is as warm as a tube should be.

On the subject of spliting the cdp as a source to the HA-1A and the receiver, well i use my cd tranport as folows; the co-axial output to one DAC feeding my HA-1A and optic output to another DAc feeding my RA1.

May be Red ryder canuse the same setup if permits.

Try the tape in. Otherwise either the aux or CD inputs will do.

thanks guys!

Tread carefully if U were to connect cdp to the Cayin and then signal out from pre-amp out to line-in (AUX/TAPE/CD......) of receiver. Volume adjustment on the Cayin can fry your receiver and the high gain can be very tricky to attain your desired volume.

The safest route is to connect your cdp to receiver and connect the Cayin via "Tape-out" on your receiver. Only drawback is your receiver has to be powered even when your intention is to listen to your headphones system.

I don't get it Mackie. You are suggesting connecting the cdp --> receiver -->Cayin. Wouldn't that risk frying the Cayin? What's the difference between that configuration vs cdp-->cayin-->receiver?

U got it wrong.

cdp > receiver's CD input > receiver's Tape-out > Cayin RCA-input. No amplified signal is fed to any input and thus, there won't be any risk of frying. The signal from Tape-out is simply bypassed by the receiver and thus contained a fixed line output to that of the signal fed from cdp.

Edited by Mackie

What's the difference between that configuration vs cdp-->cayin-->receiver?

I will advocate this path if your receiver has pre-out/power-in facilities at the back panel. Since U don't have this, how are U gonna connect Cayin to your receiver? Through line-level selector inputs such as AUX/CD/Tape-in right? There's where risk will be prevalent since the signal fed from Cayin pre-amp stage carries variable gain pertaining to your adjustment on its volume control. Sound quality will also be compromised even if full gain from Cayin pre-out does not hurt your receiver's line-in circuitry. The reason is poorer signal/noise ratio.

Edited by Mackie

Ok, understood now. Didn't know that the Tapeout does not have any amplified signal. That's great, I'll try this tonight.

Ok, understood now. Didn't know that the Tapeout does not have any amplified signal. That's great, I'll try this tonight.

In addition, the volume setting of your receiver has no effect on the signal strength from Tape-out. As mentioned, only drawback is U might have to leave your receiver powered on even when listening to your Cayin using headphones.