Sign in to follow this  
richietsc

Recommend Jazz/New Age/Pop Portable Cans?

Any to recommend? Will be powered by a 4G Ipod...

Budget Less than $150....

Did some research...

Senn HD497,HD200,HD212,PX100

Sony CD780, Eggo 66

Audio Technica A500....

Anything else????

Cheers....

biggrin.gif

Grado SR-80 is around $170 new, but you can get it cheaper 2nd hand. Or the SR-60, ard $120 new. But they are not really portable.

Well, it seems like U intend to drive your new cans unamped and thus, U'll need to choose those with low impedance. As mentioned, portability is also an issue. Since, it's meant to be portable, is isolation a key factor? If so, this would mean bye bye to open back designs. Given your budget, the recommendations are already discussed in this section; latest being http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2522

I already see some on your list would have to be dropped.

I dun need those really isolated ones... Open is fine... I don't crank up the volume anyway... So wun disturb the ppl ard.... More for transportation listening.... Talking abt the impedance, wat's the max for portable??? less than 200ohms????

Thanks...

smile.gif

There is no fixed rule about how much impedance is max, it all depends on how efficient is the cans and how well the output can drive the cans. The good about usign closed design is the isolation it provides which means you can hear more of the music/details at low volume. In simple terms, your music will sound better.

I dun need those really isolated ones... Open is fine... I don't crank up the volume anyway... So wun disturb the ppl ard.... More for transportation listening.... Talking abt the impedance, wat's the max for portable??? less than 200ohms????

Thanks...

smile.gif

For most portables, impedance around 32-64ohms will be ideal. I reckon U've not tried open-back designs while commuting on a train and/or bus. U'll find music leaks quite significantly (disturbance to others near U) and most importantly, severe sound quality degradation even with good ones such as Koss KSC35 and Grado SR60/80. More often than not, U'll tend to blast the volume and risk ear damage in these environment.

Hmm.... I understand closed design tends to be quite bassy and tends to drown the highs and mids.... My preference is in vocals and instruments... Any gd closed ones to recommend then???

CLosed portable cans - PX 200

Open portable cans - PX 100.

I think someone is selling their PX100 at the classified

Hmm.... I understand closed design tends to be quite bassy and tends to drown the highs and mids....  My preference is in vocals and instruments... Any gd closed ones to recommend then???

Far from it, IMO closed designs let you get lost in the music without interruption from ambient noise.

With the exception to price (and how!), the Beyerdynamic DT250, should suit your criterias. Closed design (but open/airy sound - IMO, YMMV), comfortable, balanced sound.

The next best thing is the slightly more bassy Sony MDR-7506 or V6 which cost only slightly more than your budget.

Hmm.... I understand closed design tends to be quite bassy and tends to drown the highs and mids....  My preference is in vocals and instruments... Any gd closed ones to recommend then???

U have misunderstood close back cans. This design should not drown the higher frequency spectrum in the expense of bass volume. Otherwise, all matured (in experience...not age tongue.gif ) listeners would shun it which aims to create an environment for the user to be totally immersed in its sound and with the least interference from ambient noise.

At your budget, someone has mentioned Hung Bro is selling limited sets of Sony V6 at $160. I'm also using this pair for music on the go. One advice.........go for it! It can also be driven out of a pcdp.

Edited by Mackie

The cheapest model of the Premium range is DT440 and costs around $250+. DT660/860 are at $300+/400+ price brackets.

Edited by Mackie