Sign in to follow this  
fox

Ipod encoding question

If I change my current format of 128Kbps MP3 songs in iTunes to the AAC (320Kbps) format, would there be any loss in the quality during the conversion?

There might be some loss, its usually the case in recompression. But the question is if you convert to 320kbps AAC you will not get any better quality (and even risk losing some quality) what's the point?

That is called transcoding IIRC, and transcoding will definitely result in loss in quality. Leave the mp3s alone, or if you want them in AAC, rerip from your CDs.

I agree

What you are doing essentially is converting 128 mp3 to 128 kbps quality wav file and later converting yet again to 320 AAC. Even converting pure wav files from cd to 320 AAC will decrease the quality much less converting from one lossy codec to another.

You are better off listening to 128kbps mp3 files.

My analogy:

CD denotes 100 apples;

MP3 converted from CD attains 80% (eg.) = 80 apples

AAC converted from MP3 attains 80% (eg.) = 64 apples

Hence, U're worse off undertaking this course of action.

if u convert sound of certain encoding (mp3 for example) to another encoding(wma for example) at the same bit rate... you're bound to lose some data coz the compression techniques used for mp3 and wma are different... the wma encoder will treat the original mp3 source as an uncompressed sound and thus compress it further (though no size difference still)