Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Sennheiser HD650

One thing for sure is that the HD650 cannot present rock music as well as the grados.

Oh yes, this I do agree when raw energy and speed are concerned and most competitors pale in rock music comparatively to Grado. However, I reckon HD650 is able to hold a candle or two in this genre better than some from AKG, Beyer etc. It's snappier than Sony CD3000 for instance. YMMV.

Give me a few more weeks, having one made. 

Looking forward to it man! Does it cost an arm or leg like Equinox/Zu Mobius?

Edited by Mackie

Snappier? In what sense? More dynamics?

After some thoughts, I will not be getting the Silver dragon since I need the cash on my new CDP. However, I will be getting some silver cables and DIYing something up. Will keep you all posted.

Edited by lengcm

As per my understanding, dynamics denotes ability to capture the loudest and softest music notes instantaneously; such as that of a full orchestra hitting a loud and climatic passage and the silence that lingers in an instant when they paused or reduced to just a handful of instruments.

My definition of snappy would be the speed of transition from one music note to another much akin to that of snare drums/percussion. Greater urgency is felt in the music portrayed by snappier cans.

Edited by Mackie

Ok it's been two weeks now and 24/7 burn-in sessions are definitely yielding improvement. Treble extension is better and the initial muffled sound is no longer prevalent, well, at least not in the degree which triggers complaints. Bass extension is also deeper but mid-upper mid range can sound sibilant at times. 3D soundstaging is also more apparent with greater portrayal in dimensions all round.

So is there anything to nit pick? Yes........the velour pads are not as comfy as Beyers and only time and usage would soften them. I also discovered that gaps behind the ear lobes and the 650 cups can be rather wide if the straps are not extended sufficiently.

Right my 2 cents worth......

I just got my can from Mackie yesterday. But I was busy the whole of yesterday and still at work today. Only managed to tried it for a while (1 hr+) .

The 650 is good. Better than anything I have tried. Not that I have tried a great deal. I am no expert in cans. My setup is mainly with speakers. Wanted to tried cans as 1) my curosity, 2) watched late night football in the room without disturbing my partner and 3) it is a new toy. So when the opportunity arise to purchase a top of the range can at what I think is a good price, I jump at it.

I am currently running it through my Shanling T100 CDP headphone output. Compare to my speakers (the only reference I know well), I noticed

1) it is a tad bit bright at the high

2) as Mackie pointed out there is sibilance at the high mid range.

3) the 3D soundsate is good.

4) a tad bit muffled (again compared to my speakers)

I put it down to my non-delicated output and the cans has yet to fully run-in. I will be getting a headphone amp to drive it. Also, hopefully I will have more time tomorrrow to try it further.

Overall, it is a good value buy at $400

BTW, my many thanks to Mackie for organising the buy and running it in for me for the past week while I was away.

Cheers mate. Hopefully we can meet up soon (maybe at the next SGH meet) and I will buy you a drink

I am currently running it through my Shanling T100 CDP headphone output. Compare to my speakers (the only reference I know well), I noticed

i think you better use a mini compo or a tuner set to run in your cans as by using the CDP it will shorten your CDP lens life. happy.gif

BTW, my many thanks to Mackie for organising the buy and running it in for me for the past week while I was away.

Cheers mate. Hopefully we can meet up soon (maybe at the next SGH meet) and I will buy you a drink

Thanks dude, that will be nice. As per New Type's suggestion, use a mini-compo or any ghetto-blasters and run in your cans using its tuner. Make sure the selected channel has strong reception. U could also use white noise prevalent between two adjacent channels.

Edited by Mackie

Thanks dude, that will be nice. As per New Type's suggestion, use a mini-compo or any ghetto-blasters and run in your cans using its tuner. Make sure the selected channel has strong reception. U could also use white noise prevalent between two adjacent channels.

What about running it through my soundcard? will that do?

most people either run in using the mini-compo or via your computor using MP3 as the source ! ohmy.gif

so how the sound of the Hd 650 ?? i guess previews must be coming out pretty soon as it seem like is going to hit the 500 hours burn in soon ! wacko.gifwacko.gif

Edited by N3w_Typ3

Alrighty people of the recent power buy, how do U find your HD650 now?

My pair has been burning in 24/7 for a month now, thus, surpassing 720 hour mark. From the onset, the price offered by renderfarms is a steal and steal we did! I'm completely sold on the prowess of this cans and I reckon the improved cable also lent credence to how it sounds in stock condition over the one on HD600. I'm sure upgrade to any aftermarket cable will yield improvement a few rungs higher.

Partnered with my two systems, HD650 sounds really smooth but never lazy with all kinds of music. It exudes tightness, authority and definition in bass department while its forte in the midrange is ever so wonderfully up close and personal. Involving is the word and as yet, none of the Beyer cans in my arsenal can challenge this department. The smooth sonic nature is a result of several notches in the upper highs, thus, averting risk of fatigue or brightness to all but the most brash and bright sounding systems. Despite the roll-off, details are still abundant and in no way compromised to achieve this sonic trait. With all these said and done, there're still a few quibbles but in an extremely nit-picking sense. HD650's high 300-ohm impedance needs a good amp with ample juice to make it sound at its best. Flashes of slouch and muddiness can occur with lesser amps. The difference in dynamics, snap and attack is evident between Original Master and Audiovalve RKVII. The other issue is comfort but it's only because I'm so used to the Beyer velour pads of DT770/880/990 range. In summary, this is the best purchase I've made with S$400 since my foray into headphone listening. Period!

FWIW, I dumped HD600 for DT880 and now, I'm completely bowled over by HD650. I can't imagine how glorious the cans will sound after a cable upgrade to Zu Mobious, Cardas, Equinox etc.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie,

I have to agree with you. Though I do not previously own any high-end hp setup, but my comparisons are listening to the HD650 against my Hi-Fi system, which is the SF grand piano driven by the same amp and cdp setup, the Marantz SR8300 and a heavily modded Marantz 63SE to a SF ultrajitterbug to a heavily modded MSB Link DAC.

Though both give very different forms of presentation but the things I can hear and FEEL with the HD650 is really out of the world. As Mackie aptly put, the feeling of the music is how involved one can get when listening to this sets of cans.

Just like you mackie, I love the cans and I waiting for the day where I will buy a dedicated HP amp to drive the HD650, and then possibly getting the ZU Mobius upgrade cable. These are all in my wishlist at the moment. wub.gif

Edited by scholes25

In view of the components in your speakers system, I recommend Cayin HA-1A tube integrated amp for sub $1000 budget. Audiovalve RKV MKII is a strong contender in the S$1000-2000 bracket as its forte in bass, soundstaging and layering coincides with those of HD650.

Alrighty people of the recent power buy, how do U find your HD650 now? 

My pair has been burning in 24/7 for a month now, thus, surpassing 720 hour mark.  From the onset, the price offered by renderfarms is a steal and steal we did!  I'm completely sold on the prowess of this cans and I reckon the improved cable also lent credence to how it sounds in stock condition over the one on HD600.  I'm sure upgrade to any aftermarket cable will yield improvement a few rungs higher.

Partnered with my two systems, HD650 sounds really smooth but never lazy with all kinds of music.  It exudes tightness, authority and definition in bass department while its forte in the midrange is ever so wonderfully up close and personal.  Involving is the word and as yet, none of the Beyer cans in my arsenal can challenge this department.  The smooth sonic nature is a result of several notches in the upper highs, thus, averting risk of fatigue or brightness to all but the most brash and bright sounding systems.  Despite the roll-off, details are still abundant and in no way compromised to achieve this sonic trait.  With all these said and done, there're still a few quibbles but in an extremely nit-picking sense.  HD650's high 300-ohm impedance needs a good amp with ample juice to make it sound at its best.  Flashes of slouch and muddiness can occur with lesser amps.  The difference in dynamics, snap and attack is evident between Original Master and Audiovalve RKVII.  The other issue is comfort but it's only because I'm so used to the Beyer velour pads of DT770/880/990 range.  In summary, this is the best purchase I've made with S$400 since my foray into headphone listening.  Period!

FWIW, I dumped HD600 for DT880 and now, I'm completely bowled over by HD650.  I can't imagine how glorious the cans will sound after a cable upgrade to Zu Mobious, Cardas, Equinox etc.

welcome back to the Senn family tongue.gif and a BIG thanks to Renderfarm laugh.gif