Sign in to follow this  
heady

Headphones for $400 or less

Hi, I am looking for a new set of headphones to upgrade my Senns HD490 which I find too dark and not revealing enough. I currently have a cmoy (OPA2134) but will be buliding a pimeta (AD8620) when I have the time.

I listen to jazz, folk and classical mostly. I am right now wondering what to get, the possibilities are HD595, HD580, DT880 etc.

What do you experts advise? The listening demo stand at Hung Bros are gone but I remembered the HD580 sounding quite good but will it be dark as well?

Thanks for any comments and advice.

heady,

I am unfamilier with the HD-490. The Beyer DT-880 and Senn HD-580/HD-600 (same drivers) do require a much more powerful amp. I suggest the older Senn HD-590 or the recently discontinued HD-570.

Alternatively, S$400 will get you a Grado SR-225 (with S$50 change) ie. it's S$350 from Music By Design at 2nd level Adelphi. This is an easy can to drive and you may even keep your "cmoy". I suggest you get your cans first before configuring your PIMETA as you may wish to use a different op-amp.

Also do consider some of the newer Beyers. The DT-440, DT-660 or DT-860 (contact Mackie for slighly better prices and advice). If you're going down to Hung Brothers at Sim Lim Square, look out for the older DT-931 (they may still have some stock). The DT-931 is one of my favourite cans together with the Grado SR-225. The Grado has more "speed" but the Beyer has more weight. I suspect the Beyer would be better suited for ya based on.

Mackie has done a review/preview of the new beyer cans - do a search here.

Hi Heady,

I would say that you better take sometime to try those headphones. I know Douglas from Hung Brothers, he is very friendly, and for sure you can try a lot of headphone there, like what I did happy.gif . Me and my friends have bought some headphones from him.

I can company you to Hung Brothers if it is your first time to go there wink.gif Just PM me.

You may want to try the Audio Technica as well. They sounds open and bright like the Grados (Hung Brothers has them).

Thanks guys. Bpripadi, thanks for the offer. Being a family man, weekends are almost impossible for me but I do sneak out during weekdays. biggrin.gif But, I will try to see this Douglas in Hung Bros. I am looking forward to your offer of trying out your pimeta once it settles in, bpribadi.

I am building the pimeta for fun, since like bripadi I already have the AD8620 but unlike him, I paid for mine since I was SO ignorant then. It's amazing how much one can learn from guys like you all.

As for the phones, I actually don't like phones to be too bright but I found my Senns seems to be hiding things from me. Maybe just my imagination. Anyway the HD490 is OLD and I have a pair of HD450 which is even older, the cables are so stiff that they don't bend and they actually just broke so I have the excuse to give to the missus to buy a new set of phones. rolleyes.gif

Thanks again.

You may want to try the Audio Technica as well. They sounds open and bright like the Grados (Hung Brothers has them).

Just to clarify, does Hung Brothers have Audio Technica or Grados or both?

If they have Grados please clarify that these are from the official Grado dealer (Music By Design) for warrenty purposes.

Douglas of Hung Brothers is quite friendly. Watch out for that Audio Techinca midrange (if your amp is not up to scratch).

HungBros only has AT, Senn, AKG, Beyer, and other brands, but not Grado. So far I heard, only Music By Design carry Grado.

Sorry for the confusion, what I mean by 'them' are the AT and Beyer.

In addition, please be informed the new Beyer Premium range of DT440/660/860 are not available to Hung Bro for the local agent has decided to sell these models direct to consumers. All of these are of 32ohms impedance and thus easier to drive relative to the other Beyer models.