Sign in to follow this  
bzy83

Need help on cables

my new sound si coming soon, and i need cable to connect it with my AMP.

where can i find affordable good quality cables?

my budget is below S$50 happy.gif

Sorry, blur, don't know what is LHS?

Thanks.

Shop name in SLT 2nd floor that sell cables and connectors (including the Neutrik connectors). I heard they can DIY cable for you as well.

Hi Bram, thanks for the favour.

What cable would you recommend for headphone extension? The S-VHS wire you mention has only two conductors right so must use the shield for the ground? I am also looking for a cable to replace my broken old headphone cable, so have to split into two separate 2 conductors, left and right. I don't think Cat-5 wire will be good, it is solid core and quite stiff and easy to break with bending. What do you think?

Here is the S-VHS cable I mentioned:

user posted image

I like to use is for:

> Internal interconnect in the DIY amplifier

> Interconnect between PCDP and Headphone Amplifier (1/8" jack and socket)

This cable solved my hum problem previously I had with my CMoy. So it is proven effectively suppress hum yes.gif

Inside the cable are 2 coaxials, red and white, so the core is fully shielded. The hum rejection of this cable should be good, since this cable is designed for high frequency S-VHS signal.

The size is just nice, fit tightly (sometime I need lubricant like WD40 to slot in the back spring > see foto) with the common 1/8" jacks and sockets wink.gif

You can buy it from the shop beside Kaichin (SLT 3rd floor), right side, for S$ 2.5 per meter.

But for headphone cable, I think it is not Flexible enough. For cheap solution, you can get Daiyo cable, which is widely available at SLS (3rd floor) or Best Denki. It is flexible, and already come as a pair of coaxial, so it is easy for you to split it, cut the other ends to be connected to your headphone. It's cheap, around S$ 12.-. For expensive solution, you can browse this forum (Zu Mobius, etc.) headphone.gif

user posted image

Edited by bpribadi

heady: I guess a relatively good one would be to get the Mogami starquad mic cable 2534 (www.team108.com). This is a 4-core one but if you were to make into a headphones extension you would use 1 conductor from each twisted pair for 1 signal (hence the starquad). That would still leave you with using the shield as the ground (except this one isn't tinned copper shield and its not braided like in most Beldens. I haven't personally tried it but IIRC the DT880s of av98m was moded with this mic cable. Perhaps he can tell more...

Burp... Sorry we are OT. no.gif

Edited by lekguan

Hi Bram, thanks for the favour.

What cable would you recommend for headphone extension? The S-VHS wire you mention has only two conductors right so must use the shield for the ground? I am also looking for a cable to replace my broken old headphone cable, so have to split into two separate 2 conductors, left and right. I don't think Cat-5 wire will be good, it is solid core and quite stiff and easy to break with bending. What do you think?

U can't go wrong with Canare, Klotz, Belden and Mogami star-quad cables for your cans. Afterall, these are widely used in the pro audio industry and should beat any cheap consumer alternatives in terms of price and quality. My order of preference will be Mogami, Canare, Belden and Klotz.

Mackie, thanks for the advice. Question is where do one get these cables and how much will expect to pay for them. It is quite intimidating to see the rolls and rolls of wires and not knowing the difference in them.

Thanks again.

As someone has mentioned above, start with LHS, 2nd floor SLT. All who are into DIY cables would and will continue to patronise this shop. Tell Robert (the boss) of your needs and he would make the necessary recommendation. I perceive the aforementioned cables should cost less than $10/m; a very safe and sure assumption on my part. He also sells all kinds of connectors and at reasonable price too. This is one place where I'm assured I won't be fleeced.

U should consider my power buy thread on classified section regarding extension cable but U should proceed with repairs of your broken headphone cable first. Bring along your cans to LHS and seek Robert's advice. If he's confident enough to undertake the repairs, oblige if U wish albeit he charges a fee of $10.

Edited by Mackie