FookLai

Headroom Total AirHead

I saw someone selling this heaphone amp in singnet. Do you guys got any experience with it? How is the sound like? Do you think it will improve the sound generally?

Fook Lai

I had one before it was paired with my Ety ER4S. It certainly improved the sound over directly plugging the 4s to the headphone out & even powered my Grado SR80 & Senn HD600 briefly.

It's character is best described as 'clean' & 'smooth'. If you have harsh or bright gear it will roll of the highs especially in the case of the Grados. It's not the best sounding amp but as a starter amp at used price, it should be good value. It's application is best for portables with a line out as when I tried using it on my CDP it tended to clip even at moderate volume because of the high output.

Note that mine was the current amp with 3x AAA & green LED light.

Here's link to a pix of the Total Airhead on Headroom website.

http://www.headphone.com/images/InsideTota...lAirheadBig.JPG

It does sound good esp with low imp cans. High imp cans really need the 9-volt version that Headroom sold briefly. Maybe you can contact them and get one customised. For shipping add approx US$36 - US$40 (Fed-Ex only unfortunately).

Alternatively get someone to make you a META 42. Several builders in head-fi.

Edited by Rameish

I used to own a 4.5V TAH myself; matter of fact, it was my very first amp. I must say that I was very satisfied with it and used it at home and on the road till I decided on a home META42 and go amp-less on the road.

It's quite a satisfactory performer - could be because I use mainly Grados - and to my ears it sounded slightly better than the Porta Corda (first generation).

I paid abt SGD$330 for mine, just to give you a rough idea of how much you should pay for a secondhand unit.

Below is a link to headroom website of a Supreme which cost US$449 without shipping via Fed-Ex.

http://www.headphone.com/images/InsideSupremeBig.JPG

El,

The latest generation of the Total Airhead was in response to the 1st generation Porta Corda. They decide to add an LED even. Headroom even had a 9-volt version (just like the Porta Corda - either Mki or MkII) until very recently. Why did they discontinue it? Possi bec headroom also has the Supreme which uses 4 D size batteries for 6 volts which is then steped up internally using a DC-DC step up. So they do know and believe in higher voltage sounding better. The official answer from Tyll of headroom is that he doesn't like the 9-volt battery. Check head-fi for his argument. However, that would mean the portable config of the META 42, Porta Corda, Grado RA 1 etc should also be affected bec of the battery. Since this is obviously not the case I do disagree with Tyll. Headroom's other portable amps like the Supreme and Cosmic do infact have a DC to DC step up. This shows that they do ack that the higher voltave is better/superior.

The current generation of the Porta Corda (MK II) is, in part quality, design, and implementation of design a superior product - in my biased opinion of course. The only real way is to test both. In addition either version of the Porta Corda offers an easy upgrade path. Porta Corda Mk II does this by a simple flip of the dip switch to operate in class A and second by having an external DC power supply of up to 28 Volts DC!

The Total Airhead (4.5 volt version) offers only a 5 volt external DC input.

My response to Fook's question was as a second-hand product. If he has a high impedence headphone - the 9-volt Total Airhead would be a better choice. I did not mention Porta Corda (MkI or MkII) as that was not his question. If he was using grados then the difference is less between a 9-volt and a 4.5 Total Airhead but still noticeable. If he was using high impedence cans like Beyers or Senn HD-600 then the 9-volt version of the TAH would be better. Between the Porta Corda MkII and the current TAH the question become more which offers better value for money and better sound of course. High impedence cans need voltage while low impedence cans need current - there are other things of course like part quality to ensure that left and right channels remain balanced long after you've purchase them. The rather basic vol pot on the Total Airhead does not auger well.

The nature of the Porta Corda II makes it more versatile because it offers 1) Switching the op-amps to Class A (higher current). 2) 9-volt and up to 28 volts DC (higher voltage), 3) Part quality - from volume pot to two single op amps to the 12 capacitors each delivering 470 micro farad (total buffer capacity is nearly 5640 uF!), Wima (German made) caps etc 4)Headphone impedence matching via the 120 ohm adapter 4) better mini-mini cable made by Oehlbach of Germany 5) Industrial circuit board where the copper is 70uM thick 6) silver plated input and output sockets 7) Two year warrenty manufacturer's warrenty. 8) No cheap SMD components are used - so the Porta Corda can be repaired easily or upgraded after the warrenty period of course. Take a look at the numerous use of SMD components of the Total Airhead.

Of course its debatable which of the corssfeed circuits sound better. The fact that people like Kelly and Jude have Corda products seems to indicate that it is indeed more natural sounding.

A new Total Airhead costs US$199 (S$343) without shipping and as you know they only ship via Fed-Ex (US$36 min) bringing the total cost to over S$400! versus a S$350 fro the Porta Corda II. However, the question is second hand TAH. So my original answer did not have this ramble abt Porta Corda.

For an internal pic of the Porta Corda please click here: http://www.cryophilia.com/sgheadphones/ind...ct=ST&f=2&t=266

I do apologise for this ramble El, but you did mention the Porta Corda (although it was the version 1) so I have no choice but to explain why the Porta Corda (either version) is superior.

The litmus test is of course in the listening.

Edited by Rameish

Phew, sorta made me want to go out & buy a PCII right now!

Another observation, the PCII is slightly smaller than the TAH judging by the side by side photo of the 'nude' PCII next to the Kent box!

Both the Airheads in general have a slightly cumbersome to operate volume control but it is less prone to accidently being changed while in a backpack etc. It also comes with a freebie mini to mini cable called Plastics One with 90 degree angled jacks on both ends.

user posted image

Here's the supplied accessories with the Porta Corda II. As you can see the mini to mini looks better, the jack is a 120 ohm adapter for better matching of headphones like Grados, Beyer DT-931 and DT-831, there's also a belt clip, and a supplied DC in jack which can be used to hook up 2 (18 VDC) or even three 9-volt batteries (27 VDC). Alternatively just get a simple regulated AC-DC power supply for home use.

It's got better parts, it's more compatible, and it's still very portable.

You're not kidding rameish, it looks very well made compared to the AH/TAH. How does the DC jack work?

I do apologise for this ramble El, but you did mention the Porta Corda (although it was the version 1) so I have no choice but to explain why the Porta Corda (either version) is superior.

The litmus test is of course in the listening.

Rameish,

Hmm ... from the tone - and to a large extent, length - of your reply, I gather that I have once again unwittingly stepped on your toes. ohmy.gif

As usual, I was just offering my worthless opinions about the 4.5v TAH in a short, superficial reply, in which I stated a personal preference in a comparison, but did not make any disparaging remarks about the either of the products. I explicitly mentioned "to my ears" to ensure that no one would read it and mistake it for gospel truth; it's only one of El Scorcho's damned mutterings.

I trust you didn't feel that I was out to hurt the reputation of one of your products. It was a sincere opinion from a listener's point of view. But I guess I forgot my lesson from our last 'clash' on this board: a seller is somehow 'tainted' by the lure of economic profit and is no longer qualified to offer a 'pure' point of view as an amateur listener. Perhaps I should opt for a 'return to innocence' by relinquishing my dealership. innocent.gif Or is the stain of greed permanent? cool.gif

You don't have to apologize for the long ramble: ramblings require sympathy and tolerance, not contrition. sleep.gif

However, in order not to rock this boat which is on apparently volatile waters, I hereby retract my earlier opinions about the TAH and the PC.

No reply is required as this is merely a public retraction of opinion.

I never noticed the size of my feet

until I kicked you in the shins.

Will you ever forgive me

for the shape I'm in?

- The Police

I think it is understood that different people hear differently and will have differing opinions. Any constructive criticism is welcome as long as it is within limits. It would be quite boring if everyone agreed or disagreed on the same thing!

Correct me if I am wrong, the way I understood rameish's post was that he was merely defending the PC and pointing out the technical aspects in relation to the TAH. In the end he also pointed out "The litmus test is in the listening" hence if you or I hear differently then so be it and all the better for it I say. Personally I prefer the Grado SR80 on the TAH as well although I haven't heard a PC yet, hopefully I can address to that in the near future happy.gif

N@Z,

The DC jack can be either connected to a regulated AC-DC external power supply (for home/wall socket use). Or you may connect it to either 2 X 9-Volt (total of 18 Volts) or even 3 X 9-Volt batteries (27 volts!). In singapore you can get one by Newstar for about S$20. However I am currently in the discussion stage with a electronics hobbyist to build one (regulated 24 Volt DC).

It would be cheaper than the Creek OBH-2 for sure. However I'm also looking into the option to have it configured for both 120 volts and 230 volts AC.

Here's a pic of the DC jack connected to the above mentioned Newstar AC-DC converter.

NewstarJPG

Thanks for the helpful photo. Let us know how you get on with the regulated 24V DC wallwart.

sorry, forget to add in the purpose of the amp and the headphone that I am using. I am using Grado SR 60 and Koss Porta Pro, the purpose of the amp is a connection between my CDP(RCA out) and my headphone. I cannot find any method to connect a Left and Right RCA out with my haedphone which accept jack input only, so have to buy a headphone amp to connect them. That's looking for budget headphone amp only.

Fook Lai

hmm you can get a cable with RCA on one end and female 1/8 connector on the other. but you cant control volume this way.

the general comments on total airhead on headfi is that it is inferior to the other portable amps like portacorda.meta42 etc. well unless you can get them for a cheap price.

u can try making a cmoy if you a diy capable.