Sign in to follow this  
kank_39

What headphones are suitable for heavy music?

Hi,

I'm new here. I found out about this site through hwz. Anyway I've been using my headphones for the last 5 years and although it's still working perfectly but i think it's time to retire them. Anyway they're a pair of Sony MDR-D11W, one of those eggo white headphones.

I'm looking for a new pair now and i would like to ask for your opinions. I listen mostly to really heavy music like nu-metal and metal-core kind of things so it'll be cool if someone here has recommendations for any suitable headphones. The present one sounds ok but sometimes they can get kind of muddy.

I'm looking for a over-the-head headphone (no clip-on or behind-the-head ones) and it'll be preferable if it could be a wee-bit stylish. I was contemplating on the Koss portapro since everyone's like praising it but the design just kinds of put me off a little.

My budget is within the range of $100-150.

Thanks i advance for all replies. smile.gif

U are looking for close design cans, period. These offer highest level of isolation and thus exhance bass volume. Seek those with lower impedance if driven direct from portable source ie below 100 ohms. As yet, Senn PX200, Beyer DT231 and Philips SBC-HP890 come to my lil' mind. U can test the first 2 at Hung Bro, Sim Lim Sq. The Philips may be elusive but U could have a feel of its sonic traits by reading previous review/opinions on this model.

Sennheiser PX200

user posted image

Beyerdynamic DT231

user posted image

Philips SBC-HP890

user posted image

Edited by Mackie

Damn.. The Philips SBC-HD890 looks sweet man.

I might give the Senn PX-200 a try. It looks promising but how about audio-technica ATF FC7? I don't know how it sounds but it looks pretty cool to me.

Sorry about my shallowness in my choice as i'm basing all my jedgement on the looks of the cans but i haven't tried any of them so all i could do is use my eyes.

I've not tried the ATF FC7, so no comments. FWIW, the Philips cans even come with its dedicated headphone stand. If U have no intention to use the new cans on-the-go, I favour HP890 which costs $70-99.

Edited by Mackie

You can either go for the Sony MDR-D66SL...

user posted image

... or better still if you can stretch to just under $200, the Sony MDR-7506 (or V6) will suit nu-metal very very well.

user posted image

Modded with themore comfy beyer DT250 velour earpads.

user posted image

Thanx for the suggestion guys.

From what research i've done thus far, i think i've narrowed my choices to the following:

Senn PX200

Sony MDR D-66SL (I would love to get the V6 but it seems a bit too bulky for a portable set of can, furthermore they feature telephone cable rather than straight ones, which is kind of heavy for portable audio)

Audio-technica ATH FC7

But I might go for the D66SL since i love the style of my present set of eggos but i'm also keen of trying a set of Senn. You guys know of any place where i can trial run these?

Senn PX200 - Hung Bros, Sim Lim Square

D66SL - nowhere as U can only purchase it on websites such as www.audiocubes.com

Not sure on Audio Technica.

Senn PX200

Sony MDR D-66SL (I would love to get the V6 but it seems a bit too bulky for a portable set of can, furthermore they feature telephone cable rather than straight ones, which is kind of heavy for portable audio)

Audio-technica ATH FC7

But I might go for the D66SL since i love the style of my present set of eggos but i'm also keen of trying a set of Senn. You guys know of any place where i can trial run these?

Actually folded up, the 7506/V6 is only slightly larger than the Eggos. Plus it's much more robust when you store it in your rucksack or whatever carry bag that you may be using.

Sonically the HP890, PX200 & Eggo will work fine for your intended type of music, just IMO only that the 7506/V6 will really RAWCK on nu-metal! party.gif

Well.... I would recommend for you to go Jade Gift shop at Shaw Towers for your purchase of Senn PX 200 if you desire, sells at $90 there, whereas, it is up for sale for $99.90 at Hung Bros....

Shaw Towers is just near SLS tongue.gif Save your money for further purchase of other stuff haha.gif

IN addition to that, you can also trial run the headphones along with your portable player =D friendly lady in comparison to the people in Hung Bros IMO...

Though at the place, i did not spotted the other headphones that you have seeked, might want to ask other people about the products jade gift shop first... i didn't spot the Sennheiser PX200 until i asked the lady... happened to be right in front of me...

Edited by Slumber