tee

Concerts

Just to kick off this new thread for anyone to recommend or post a review on live concerts happening in town wink.gif

Due to my locale, I can't offer anything however I can put this bit of trivia about myself... I only went to ONE (1) concert in my entire life. It was a Bob Geldof mini concert at our University's pub. The sound was harsh & loud but what a great experience! Whoops correction! Come to think of it there was the Micheal Jackson & Stevie Wonder concert at Jerudong Park. Great sound, MJ was with his usual exceptional performance. Stevie was a slight letdown. I'll stop rambling now!

Well, N@Z, you should visit Singapore more often for the concerts here, esp for the June period when we have an Arts festival coming up but not sure if those programs are your cups of teas :

Asts Festival

And for me, i will be attending the Jeremy Monteiro Trio concert featuring Toot Thielemans as soloist on Harmonica :

JAZZ - Jeremy Monteiro NYC Trio

Are you interested ? wink.gif

I am probably going to joe satriani's concert

not sure when it is though.. but should be next month or something

will check out again later laugh.gif

Hi Guy,

could you please share with us some background on Joe Satriani or any related links.....just to help us expand our music listening horizon. wink.gif

joe satriani? hm.. he's considered one of the greatest guitarist now.

He is the teacher of steve vai , Metallica's Kirk Hammett, Counting Crow's David Bryson, and jazz fusionist Charlie Hunter.However, Joe's strength as a player can be seen in his numerous solo recordings, the latest being his Strange Beautiful Music (Epic 2002).

His style is instrumental rock. I recommend you to try his : love thing, always with me always with you, rubina, crying

These are my favourite song, esp love thing. It sounds marvellous. Truly a virtuoso!Btw, his wife is a sporean w00t.gif

For concerts nowadays I prefer acoustic if the performers are unfamiliar as I like acoustic instruments.

Quick review of the concert by Jeremy Monteiro NYC Trio with special guest Toots Thielemans held on 18 Jun 2003

--------------------------------------

An evening of memorable jazz

By GEOFFREY EU (courtesy of Business Times)

AT 81, jazz harmonica great Toots Thielemans may be well past his playing prime, but he still knows

how to put on a show that's finger-clickin' good.

As the star attraction of an Arts Festival concert on Wednesday night, Thielemans had an upbeat

Victoria Concert Hall crowd snapping its fingers to the sweet improvisational sounds of an all-star trio

led by local boy Jeremy Monteiro on piano, with top US jazzmen Adam Nussbaum (drums) and Jay

Anderson (acoustic bass).

Thielemans projects an infectious enthusiasm on stage and although his inventive technique and

distinctive sound were readily apparent in flashes, the evening was made memorable by his animated

personality, easy rapport with the audience and fellow musicians, and constant expressions of

unabashed joy for the music.

The evening's playlist featured jazz and Brazilian standards as well as compositions by Monteiro, who

happily deferred to the legend while showcasing his own considerable skills - as did his playing

partners.

The most gratifying moments came when Thielemans performed two of his most enduring

compositions: the theme from Sesame Street, which had the crowd singing and swinging along, and

Bluesette, one of the most famous numbers in the jazz lexicon.

Thielemans played Bluesette on guitar but sadly, can no longer perform the quirky whistling jazz

passages that made him so unique.

Thielemans says his harmonica playing elicits emotions that lie somewhere between a smile and a tear.

On Wednesday night, there was just a tear or two - and a roomful of smiles. wink.gif

Nice, I would have enjoyed that. I wish there were more acoustic concerts held here rather than a few ever year.

Guy, that Satriani concert should be coming soon. How's about a review too wink.gif

naz, how do you know it's coming soon?

hm.. lemme check it out wink.gif

You said so a couple of posts ago. rolleyes.gif

yeah.. but it was cancelled due to the SARS outbreak

I don't know whether they will still have it... sleep.gif