Sign in to follow this  
Blues

Amp: output transformer

Does upgrading one's output transformer yield a better sound(or just change the sound??)

Do you think it's worth upgrading it , or should I look into other parts to upgrade instead?

Thanks tongue.gif

ps. I have tamura in mind tongue.gif

Edited by Blues

Thinking of getting rid of that hum problem in your Cyber 30?

Edited by lengcm

No. Fixing the hum problem will cost me quite a bomb based on what Zenn Audio told me last time. Instead, Frankie of Well Audio managed to get it down to a negligible volume by just adjusting the hum pot correctly.

The output transformer in a tube amp is one of the most important components contributing to the sound of the amp. A good OPT should give wide bandwidth and resolution (depends on design- air gap etc), good tone & timbre (type of core material and wires). I would say that in order of descending importance (IMHO) :

1) Circuit design

2) Tubes

3) OPT

4) Caps

5) Resistors

5) Others - wires/sockets/chassis material.

However, if you are thinking of upgrading your Cyber 30's stock OPT to Tamura, I would advise just getting a better amp. Good though the Cyber 30 is, upgrading to a Tamura level is a bit beyond its capabilities (no tube rectification, 12AX7 driving 2A3 is not up to the best circuit designs for the 2A3 tube etc). Besides, I think you are going to have a tough time fitting a Taumra into the Cyber 30 chassis. And finally, but very importantly, the Tamura transformer is meant for speakers i.e. 4/8/16 ohm. For headphones you need 32-300 Ohm OPT. The Cyber 30 stock OPT has a different set of winding taps the headphone sockets.

If you are looking for a better headamp that is still SET, I would suggest DIY HiFi Supply's Chazz:

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_chazz.htm

I find it quite a bit better than Cyber 30 - more transparent with greater dynamics. Its also quieter with lower hum levels (not using DC heaters like the Cyber 30).

If you like the mids of the Cyber 30, than run the Chazz with EL34 tubes.

If you are looking for ways to just upgrade the Cyber 30, I would suggest changing out the

1) Stock cathode bypass and coupling caps to something better (blackgates, PIO, Jupiter Beeswax etc)

2) Upgarding the volume pot to a bette carbon pot or step attenuator

3) then changing out the power supply caps to better electrolytics - BlackGates, Elna Cerafines

4) Upgrading the resistors to carbon film (Riken, Kiwame) or tantalums.

5) Finally changing out the stock internal wires from the RCA inputs and speaker/headphone outputs

to OCC copper or even better yet ... silver

Hope this helps.