Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

DT331 cable mod

i was getting bored with my DT331...so i decided to try something tongue.gif

i hav always found the cable of the 331 to be too tiny laugh.gif that let me to thinking about changing it.

user posted image

at first i thought of using the colorful Klotz cable for the mod...then decided since i'm doing a mod, why not make it removeable biggrin.gif i didn't like the idea of using a 3.5mm mono jack cause i thought they would fall out easily, then i look at the RCA jack that i hav...there seem to be just enough space to fit them in

taking apart the DT331 was easier then i thought, there was no glue or "catch" they just snap together, after desoldering the original cable, i enlarge the hole with a drill, there's not enough space in the headphone's housing for the nut of the RCA jack, so i drill the hole small enough so the jack will not be loose, i had to use a plier to screw in the jack, using the treads on the RCA jack to tap new treads into the housing.

user posted image

its a very tight fit, there's no chance the RCA jack is gonna come loose on its own smile.gif solder the cables in place and close back the housing, the cables were some left over Klotz cables that i hav from making the interconnects.

user posted image

the completed headphones, i bought some Canere cables and 1/4" Neutrik jacks from Hung bros today but forgot to bring them home sleep.gif they were going to be used in this mod.

user posted image

another shot of the modded headphone, will post more pics with the Canere cables tomorrow smile.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

There's too much metal for my liking in RCA jacks although I've contemplated such a mod before. In fact, I think using mini coaxial jacks would be better. They screw down tight and yet are small with low metal mass.

Agree about the weight part. My own 880s are a little on the heavy side(though I'm sure not as heavy as having rca plugs on the cans). But you can work your way around it by only listening to them on a reclined armchair with a good headrest, or lying down in bed with your head propped up by pillows. Oh the things we do for sonic bliss! biggrin.gif

update :

brought the Canare cable and 1/4" plug home today to complete the mod smile.gif

user posted image

the RCA jacks are $4 generic type bought in SLS, the Canere cable is lighter and also softer then the Daiyo cables from the first post, now the headphones don't fell so heavy laugh.gif

user posted image

a shot of the plug, its thinner the the Neutrik 1/4" but i think they should be the same quality, but i still prefer the strain relief design of the Neutrik plugs

user posted image

i made the cables about 3m long, one question...why is too much metal no good? unsure.gif

for the weight issue, it feels ok...with the Daiyo cable i did feel it was too heavy, but with the new cable, it feels about the same weight as my W1000, maybe just a little more happy.gif

the weight don't really come from the RCA jacks, cause i don't feel its any heavier then before the mod when i remove the cable, u'll feel the weight if u stand up with the cables running from the headphones to the ground, thats when u feel the full weight of the cables, i place part of the cable on my lap when i use the headphones, and the weight feels no different from before the mod

Edited by tropicalrips

Don't you want to totally remove the RCA plug and solder the cable directly after you've confirmed that a certain cable is what you want?

Don't you want to totally remove the RCA plug and solder the cable directly after you've confirmed that a certain cable is what you want?

that was my original plan smile.gif

i thought any cable of audio quality should be better or at least same as the original, but like i said, i got bored tongue.gif so thought i make it more fun, making the cables removeable biggrin.gif

i think the cable cables improved the details a little, can't really tell, need to do a side by side compare to confirm, but i'm quite sure it did not make the sound worse laugh.gif

You should try bare naked braided PC-OCC cooper from Ahfart biggrin.gif Get the wire from him, and braid it laugh.gif Should be the coolest cable ever party.gif

You should try bare naked braided PC-OCC cooper from Ahfart biggrin.gif Get the wire from him, and braid it laugh.gif Should be the coolest cable ever party.gif

who is Ahfart tongue.gif where do i find him wub.gifbiggrin.gif

how about using those silver wires w00t.gif if braid those at 4m...3 wires for the braid thats 12m of silver wire w00t.gif the cable might cost more then the headphones wacko.gif

You should try bare naked braided PC-OCC cooper from Ahfart  biggrin.gif  Get the wire from him, and braid it  laugh.gif  Should be the coolest cable ever  party.gif

who is Ahfart tongue.gif where do i find him wub.gifbiggrin.gif

how about using those silver wires w00t.gif if braid those at 4m...3 wires for the braid thats 12m of silver wire w00t.gif the cable might cost more then the headphones wacko.gif

www.ahfartaudio.com