Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

Sony CDP-XE570

i hav been looking for a good CD player for some time now, still not decided on which one to get...NAD, Rotel...now Sony...

the only models i can find from the Sony singapore site are the 2 SACD player 3000 & 9000 series.

but managed to find a few more on the web, XE570 & a lower model XE370, there is also 2 or 3 more models of SACD player that are cheaper then the 3000 & 9000, can these player be found in singapore? unsure.gif

any one tried or own these players? i think bpribadi has post a tread with a short audition of the XA3000

Edited by tropicalrips

Me and a few friends of mine don't really like the Sony XA3000 sound. But please bear in mind, it is up to personal preference. Some people likes Sony's sound, but not me.

Try Denon DVD2910 or better the DVD3910. Or the Marantz... I'm waiting for Rotel to make SACD player smile.gif

Try Denon DVD2910 or better the DVD3910. Or the Marantz... I'm waiting for Rotel to make SACD player

If U intend to get a universal player with good video performance, the Denons are the talk of the town now although there are issues such as chroma bug (green push) that have yet to be addressed by the local agent. However Denon 3910 costs more than a grand and as such, I really suggest looking else where unless SACD is really a prerequisite.

Sony usually have a clinical and dry sound except for a few models like the venerable XA7ES. Unless this appeals to U, I wouldn't recommend it. It's generally easier to accept a sound that errs towards warmth than dryness.

I suggest U tell us your budget, preferred sonic traits and lastly facilities such as HDCD, SACD, upsampling etc.

Edited by Mackie

Is there any good SACD player in range S$ 500 - 1000 ?

Cheap SACD usually convert DSD to PCM before converting the signal to analog, therefore the SACD sound not better than normal Red book CD dry.gif

As a sweeping statement, SACD players in the bracket of $500-1000 usually do a decent job with this format but less so on redbook as there has to be a compromise in cost allocation (usually redbook). It's paramount for the buyer to know which of these formats is his priority.

my budget around $400, i prefer to get a new set...does not hav to be HDCD or SACD, thats just bonus for me smile.gif

anything thats better then my current sony pcdp and mini-compo is good enough, i'm also not particular on brand, was thinking of some Teac players at first.

any player around $300-$400 should be pretty good rite? unsure.gif what about those "half size" players? they look better when paired with my desktop amp cause they hav the same size, is the quality of these smaller players not as good?

In that case, stick to redbook playback. If it's any consolation, some SACDs were not mastered direct from the master tapes but the redboock 16/44.1KHz copy. Stereophile discovered the latest album of Norah Jones was given such "despicable" treatment on its SACD release.

Can't judge the sound quality by chassis size as most full size cdps at your price brackets house a lot of air in it and a smaller size unit may not necessarily result in a compromise in circuit design nor parts. Anyhow, not many shoe-box cdps are prevalent in the market.

Looks like Marantz, NADs and perhaps Rotel are your options unless U wanna purchase a used unit.