Sign in to follow this  
ssheavy

Which headphones under $100 to buy?

Hi guys! I'm new here. It is very interesting reading various discussions on headphones and stuff. For me I'm looking for a pair that offers good value for moneythat is like, under $100 (possible?). I would be using it mostly at home with my discman. I'm wondering if PX100 is a good buy based on what I've read... I'm more into rock/ metal music. So guys, any recommendation? Thanks!

You might want to get a used Grado SR-60, they're very good for that genre. It's $120 new.

Or Koss PortaPros which are $85.

Prices from this thread, may be outdated..

i've never tried px100, but i used to have a px200, its not too bad bass is real big but more to the muddy side, quite dark sounding. isolation is pretty good. i heard if isolation is not the main factor, the px100 performs better indoors than px200. for rock/metal grado is definately the choice, the sound is very upfront, in ur face kinda thingy. the bass is real punchy compared to px200 which is boomy. i have a grado sr80, i'd say its real good for rock cause its sounds very fast. sennheisers tend to be slower.

Hi Papaya86. Thank you for the info, sounds like you knew what you are talking about, good to know! Guess I'll stretch my budget a little and check out the SR60, yes? Sr80 is probably too exp for now. So Hung Bros the place to buy?

So, Papaya86, what rock bands are you into? I enjoy old rock bands like Rainbow, Led Zep to extreme metal music. Long Live Rock N Roll!!!

i tink someone posted a comparison between the sr60 and the sr80 and concluded that the price difference is worth it. the sr60 is around 120 the sr80 around 170 180, why not u drop by MUSICBYDESIGN over at adelphi (the building right opposite funan it mall), i tink its at level 3, they will allow u to audition the grado headphones, jus bring ur portable player alnog and test them out urself on their sofa. the only place that sells grado headphones is adelphi, hung brothers dun carry them.

for rock music, these are the ones i like - led zeppelin, rolling stones, guns and roses, beatles(this is more like pop rock though but man they rule), pink floyd, stevie ray vaughn (blues/rock and roll), cream/eric clapton and my favourite one of them all The Jimi Hendrix Experience (HAIL JIMI).

for rock instrumental - the choices are really limited, joe satriani(hes coming to singapore march 2005), yngwie malmsteen, steve vai, gary moore, jeff beck, eric johnson. i highly recommend the G3 2004 album. The lineup consists of vai,satch and yngwie, its one of the best cds i have ever bought. 30bucks for 2 cds but it was worth every penny.

Edited by papaya86

rock music is made for gardo

i like sr60 more due to its more comfy earpads, don't use a amp myself, so not likely to hear the difference between sr60 & sr80

do bring down your discman to demo with the headphones at musicbydesign

http://www.musicbydesign.com.sg/

u said that u would be using it mostly at home, but do note that you won't be able to use the sr60 outdoors [this is the portable forum right?], because of its open design [external noise will make you turn up the volume, which will damage your ears, plus u'll be "spreading the music" to others around u], and the thick headphone cord [its too long for portable use, and too inflexible]

here's a music programme recommendation rock music lovers

rock ria rock, ria89.7, sundays 9pm, lots of classic rock/metal, doesn't matter if u don't understand malay [i'm chinese, and i enjoy it]