Sign in to follow this  
heady

Nibbler tool available in SG

For DIYers who need to make a hole in panel/case which is not round, mike_d in head-fi forum (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99264) recommended a nibbler (http://www.directron.com/nibbletool.html). I happened to see this tool in a shop in Sim Lim Sq, UF Technology #03-69.

The tool is marked as S$24. Just for your info.

Edited by heady

looks like a very useful tool yes.gif may not need a Dremal or RTX after all yes.gif

i'll go check it out tomorrow

from the picture it looks like it cuts with a width of about 1cm, so not very useful for the kind of size of holes ppl on this forum will need to cut.

aaa, it cuts a piece 1.5mmx2mm at a time, a tiny bit. Which is why it is called a nibbler. You are supposed to drill a hole, insert the nibbler and use it repeatedly to cut out the shape you want. Finally finishing off with the files.

For exact shaped holes, there are punches available but they cost about $60 for each shape and size. You can find the punches in the shops in Burlington Sq which sells tube amp kits.

bought the tool from UF in SLS smile.gif i must say it works better then i thought, heres the results

user posted image

cutting a line...

user posted image

turning, changing direction...

user posted image

the finished amp, the whole cutting process took about 1/2 hr, and the was no need for filling as the cuts were very clean smile.gif

user posted image

now i can use the 3 pin power connectors and square switchs for all my amp tongue.gif thanks Heady happy.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

Wow, tropicalrips, thanks for being the pioneer, that's what I was hoping to do (one day when I find the time biggrin.gif ). I will go for it too.

This tool has been around for a long time now. Echolofters have been using it to install IEC sockets in replacement of stock power cords.

Welcome back and Happy New Year, bpribadi. Heard you went on hols, so a bit quiet in the diy corner. laugh.gif

Welcome back and Happy New Year, bpribadi. Heard you went on hols, so a bit quiet in the diy corner. 

Thanks Heady! Happy New Year to you and all forumers here biggrin.gif

Hopefully can have sometime for learning and experimenting new things in this new year happy.gif

This tool has been around for a long time now. Echolofters have been using it to install IEC sockets in replacement of stock power cords.

Computer modders have been using this for a very long time too. The price is actually lower at hardware stores. That particular shop in SLS (UF tech.) overprices many of their products.

But come on... That looks so wimpish compared to a rotary tool! LOL.. Better to get both, then cut with the nibbler while posing for photos with a Dremel/ RTX/ Minicraft.. biggrin.gif

The largest I've seen of its kind is almost as big as a carjack. Serious! The owner uses it to install IEC sockets for a fee. I didn't wanna mention it but a nibbler usually costs around $15 odd?

Nope its not. He almost worked to death on installing one for a power amp. The back panel was rather thick. Poor man.