Sign in to follow this  
sen595

Reconmend a source for my setup.Hd650 &Zu Mobius

Hi,I just got my HD650 and Zu Mobius cable connected to the Emmeline XP7 headphone amp with my denon M31 cdp. What do you guys reconmend for an upgrade for a source cdp?Of course if possible best value for money too. Thks

What's your budget? What about the M31 are you dissatisfied with?

What's your budget? What about the M31 are you dissatisfied with?

Well the denon M31 is a micro system cdp and I am looking to see whether it is worthwhile getting a separate system cdp to complement my setup for better sound. My budget probably up to $1000 if there is a mark improvement in sound quality.However if the difference is 5 to 10 percent only I just stick with the denon cdp than.

I don't have experience with the M31, but most dedicated CDPs should sound better than a micro system IMHO. I started a thread some time ago asking for CDP recommendations as well, perhaps you could do a search on that.

Go and audtition the various players if you can before buying. Don't buy on recommendations, trust what you hear because different people have different sonic preferences.

You can probably pick up a used Marantz CD-63 or CD6000 (used since you'll be able to audition before buying).

I hope you're using the XP-7 with a PSU and not batteries. It should perform even better with the higher voltage from a dedicated PSU.

Go and audtition the various players if you can before buying. Don't buy on recommendations, trust what you hear because different people have different sonic preferences.

You can probably pick up a used Marantz CD-63 or CD6000 (used since you'll be able to audition before buying).

I hope you're using the XP-7 with a PSU and not batteries. It should perform even better with the higher voltage from a dedicated PSU.

Yep, may just do what you suggest and go pick up a second hand cdp first.I am using xp7 with batteries only.According to some the psu and batteries have minor difference but I have yet to try it though.

but most dedicated CDPs should sound better than a micro system IMHO. I started a thread some time ago asking for CDP recommendations as well, perhaps you could do a search on that.

i'll second that smile.gif

i was also using a similar setup (Sony micro hifi CMT-ex1) before upgrading to a Denon 685, the improvement was a big step, much better then i expected, hope this is useful to you happy.gif

but most dedicated CDPs should sound better than a micro system IMHO. I started a thread some time ago asking for CDP recommendations as well, perhaps you could do a search on that.

i'll second that smile.gif

i was also using a similar setup (Sony micro hifi CMT-ex1) before upgrading to a Denon 685, the improvement was a big step, much better then i expected, hope this is useful to you happy.gif

yep, the denon D-M31 is a micro system that is highly rated by the What Hi-Fi mag so the sound quality is quite good, not sure how it compares to your new denon or the marantz 5300 though. The thing is that I have a marantz cd63se that has broken down twice and not too sure of their build quality so may try another brand.

Edited by sen595

Beware of magazine reviews as there's always a hidden agenda. If U've read these magazines long enough, U'll know why each tends to favour certain brands. For instance, What Hi-Fi always give lots of mention to British brands like MF, Arcam etc and Japanese Pionner and Denon.

I suggest U check out tropicalrips's newly bought Denon 685. Looks rather good value for money, aesthetically and performance wise. It's a 20-bit cdp. Audition it at Merdeka SLS. Tropicalrips works at SLS too and might give U a few pointers.

Hi sen595,

bring u more preferred CDs, cans, amp, pwrcord, i/c along for audition.

okay,does the shops in SLS allow audition?Which shops are most friendly towards auditions, can reconmend some persons in the shops as well.Cause some of these guys try and pressure you to buy a different model if they don't have the one you are looking for and some don't even allow you to audition at all.

I believe it's dealt at one of the shops at Bukit Tima Plaza, X-audio? U might wanna make some calls to double check. If U're looking at Chinese made cdps, U might wanna consider Xindak at the same shop. Spark cdps are available at Precision Audio, ground floor of Adelphi. For assorted makes such as Marantz and Rotel, the guys at KEC (also ground floor Adelphi) are very accomodating towards auditions.

I suggest U check out tropicalrips's newly bought Denon 685. Looks rather good value for money, aesthetically and performance wise. It's a 20-bit cdp. Audition it at Merdeka SLS. Tropicalrips works at SLS too and might give U a few pointers.

a lot of these guys work on commissions, which is why most will not entertain auditions cause it will take too long and they lose sales.

Merdeka has a kind of audition room in the shop, but those stuff looks like they range in the 4-5 digit price.

i think the trick is to look for those older sales person, who may be more senior & less impatience tongue.gif more chance of getting an audition for the cheaper players.

i only know the people there by their face, and they know me the same way cause we see each other almost everyday but we don't know each other by names sleep.gif