Sign in to follow this  
sen595

Reconmend a source for my setup.Hd650 &Zu Mobius

Thks for the info guys, that's just my thoughts exactly,without knowing the sales person well auditioning equipment in sg is kind of difficult.

Cheers

shanling cdp can go to people's park shopping centre, look for Larry.

Xindak cdp can go to Xaudio at bukit timah shopping centre, look for Swee.

marantz, rotel, cambridge can go to KEC at adlephi, the sale people there are quite welcoming,especially the saleslady, don't worry.

shanling cdp can go to people's park shopping centre, look for Larry.

Xindak cdp can go to Xaudio at bukit timah shopping centre, look for Swee.

marantz, rotel, cambridge can go to KEC at adlephi, the sale people there are quite welcoming,especially the saleslady, don't worry.

Thks for info, I have narrowed down my choice between a MF Xray V3 or a denon 3910 universal player. What do you guys reckon? between the 2?

Denon 3910 was seriously bugged with a chroma delay and a huge consort of owners formed at xtremeplace.com to push the local Denon agent in rectifying this problem with the latest firmware. U might wanna get this resolved too if U wish to buy this player. Nonetheless, its a hot item in the video department but not proven in terms of sound quality. MF X-ray V3 costs more than the Denon right? I suggest U give Rega 2000 ($1450 at CD Acoustics, Aldephi) before making your final decision on either of the 2 makes U'd mentioned.

Btw, how did U narrow down to these 2 models? Have U auditioned them personally or did U gauge by reviews, specifications, price factors, aesthetics or all of them? I can't emphasize more that U really need to hear them out yourself to weed out any chance of a misjudgement. Good luck.

Edited by Mackie

Denon 3910 was seriously bugged with a chroma delay and a huge consort of owners formed at xtremeplace.com to push the local Denon agent in rectifying this problem with the latest firmware. U might wanna get this resolved too if U wish to buy this player. Nonetheless, its a hot item in the video department but not proven in terms of sound quality. MF X-ray V3 costs more than the Denon right? I suggest U give Rega 2000 ($1450 at CD Acoustics, Aldephi) before making your final decision on either of the 2 makes U'd mentioned.

Btw, how did U narrow down to these 2 models? Have U auditioned them personally or did U gauge by reviews, specifications, price factors, aesthetics or all of them? I can't emphasize more that U really need to hear them out yourself to weed out any chance of a misjudgement. Good luck.

Thks I have gone thru the forum on the 3910 and apparently after upgrading the firmware to V7 their problems have been resolved abeilt after some hassle.So far I have not auditon both players but intend to do so. Price of the MF quoted by alpha audio is high $2700 & I may get it from overseas. The rega is also another player on my list but I am leaning towards the MF from all the reviews and info I have garnered so far if the price is acceptable. But the universal players look very tempting as well for around $1500 the pioneer 969 is also avail. Tough decisions

Well if U favour a universal player, check out Philips 963SA at New Disc Village cd shop at Adelphi. I believe Ernest uses it as source to his system. He's very friendly and allows all his customers to try his cds on his system. If U're not interested in used sets, I would say U've nailed the hottest 2 universal dvdps at the moment.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie, how is the redbook playback of the Philips 963SA? And any idea how much it costs retail?

I auditioned the Rega Planet 2000 the other day and preferred it to the Marantz CD17 KI. I was seriously considering purchasing the former but alas my wallet refused. Do you have any experience with it and how would you rate it against other players in the price range?

I auditioned the 963SA redbook performance at Ernest's shop and I must say it was pretty good......way better than what I would expect from a dvd player. Details are abundant but yet not clinical nor dry as most dvdps tend to sound.

IMHO and especially for one who loves the sound of analogue sources, it's either Rega 2000 or Electrocompaniet EMC1 which I now own. Of course the Rega lies in a price bracket where competition is fierce, especially with the introduction of Chinese made cdps such as Spark (Precision Auidio). Just aesthetics alone makes me whimper with delight.

It just seems that there are so many makes and models to choose from that any decision is painful to make. Guess price will be a determining factor nevertheless.

Update my source

I just got back my Marantz CD63SE mod by TS Lim from Diva and it's sounds very nice with my home rig. So no need to go buy another source.Btw anyone here also tried the modded Marantz CD63 by TS Lm also? Also what are the reasonably price reconmended interconnects in the market presently? Thanks

Edited by sen595

TS Lim's work on the CD63SE is highly commendable but if U really wanna improve your source, put it to the test against Rega 2000 at CD Acoustics and U'll know what I mean. Mods can only do so much for a cdp of a lower rung. This is not meant to be a discredit and in fact a compliment as no one in the right mind would wanna pit a stock CD63SE against a Rega 2000. TS Lim's mods have definitely narrowed the gap.

Look in the direction of DIY cables if U're unsure of your expectations sonically. Klotz GY107Y, although a favourite, may not be suitable as U might loose some transparency and treble extension but gain on mid bass. Choose this if U find your system lightweight in the low end and lacks warmth in the mids. Belden 89259 will contribute to a leaner bass but yield greater treble extension; suitable if U love a tighter and yet detailed sound. Canare L-4E6S has a rather balanced sound across the audio spectrum with a possible hump at the 3KHz region which gives it a teeny weeny bit of brightness. On the plus side, bass is tight but not lean and the mid-highs are rather full and extended; a good choice if U find your system a tad dark and warm sounding. Finally on branded cables, my choice will be Kimber Kable Silver Streak (S$250-300) sold at Atlas HIfi (also sole agent for Bose). Contrary to popular belief, Kimber Kable doesn't sound bright albeit conductors are silver.

Edited by Mackie

TS Lim's work on the CD63SE is highly commendable but if U really wanna improve your source, put it to the test against Rega 2000 at CD Acoustics and U'll know what I mean.  Mods can only do so much for a cdp of a lower rung.  This is not meant to be a discredit and in fact a compiment as no one in the right mind would wanna pit a stock CD63SE against a Rega 2000.  TS Lim's mods have definitely narrowed the gap.

Look in the direction of DIY cables if U're unsure of your expectations sonically.  Klotz GY107Y, although a favourite, may not be suitable as U might loose some transparency and treble extension but gain on mid bass.  Choose this if U find your system lightweight in the low end and lacks warmth in the mids.  Belden 89259 will contribute to a leaner bass but yield greater treble extension; suitable if U love a tighter and yet detailed sound.  Canare L-4E6S has a rather balanced sound across the audio spectrum with a possible hump at the 3KHz region which gives it a teeny weeny bit of brightness.  On the plus side, bass is tight but not lean and the mid-highs are rather full and extended; a good choice if U find your system a tad dark and warm sounding.  Finally on branded cables, my choice will be Kimber Kable Silver Streak (S$250-300) sold at Atlas HIfi (also sole agent for Bose).  Contrary to popular belief, Kimber Kable doesn't sound bright albeit conductors are silver.

Many thanks Mackie, will look into the cables at Atlas hi-fi. I have seen some high end cables for sale and they are balanced XLR plugs.Could you enlighten me on it's use? are they for the high end equipment and not the normal rca connectors on the 'normal' hi-fi equipment.Also what kind of products are used for connection maintenance? as like to prevent oxidation and rust etc.

As to the cdp,I will continue to keep my options open especially when I travel to destinations with much better price than here in sg.

Edited by sen595

Many thanks Mackie, will look into the cables at Atlas hi-fi. I have seen some high end cables for sale and they are balanced XLR plugs.Could you enlighten me on it's use? are they for the high end equipment and not the normal rca connectors on the 'normal' hi-fi equipment.Also what kind of products are used for connection maintenance? as like to prevent oxidation and rust etc.

As to the cdp,I will continue to keep my options open especially when I travel to destinations with much better price than here in sg.

Balanced XLR is more commonly seen on equipment sold in the States. It's advantages are that balanced cables have better reject of noise.

They do cost more because you need to dedicate additional conductor(s) for the 'cold' signal in addition to the 'hot' and 'ground'.

Also, additional circuitry (or high quality transformer) is required on both amp and source sides for transmitting or converting the balanced signal (for non-balanced amp designs).

You can buy Craig Labs products like Preserve-it, Pro-Gold and De-oxdit for maintainence of contact points.

Balanced XLR is more commonly seen on equipment sold in the States. It's advantages are that balanced cables have better reject of noise.

They do cost more because you need to dedicate additional conductor(s) for the 'cold' signal in addition to the 'hot' and 'ground'.

Also, additional circuitry (or high quality transformer) is required on both amp and source sides for transmitting or converting the balanced signal (for non-balanced amp designs).

You can buy Craig Labs products like Preserve-it, Pro-Gold and De-oxdit for maintainence of contact points.

Thks Firefox,for the clarification. The craig stuff can be bought at Sim Lim Square? or any particular shop? Rgds