Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

PC for digital imaging

Decided to split this into it's own topic from the digital camera thread.

I'm thinking of upgrading my ageing PIII 1Ghz 256MB RAM Dell PC. It's already maxed out & can't be upgraded anymore. I need something that will work well for Digital Imaging/post processing using Photoshop CS (an maybe the occasional digital video editing). At the moment it's struggling a little.

What specifications would be ideal for this usage? I will also be using it for general office work & internet (emphasis on multi-tasking i.e lots of open programs running at one time). I would like to avoid Macs as I have specific programs that I use regularly which can only be used on PCs plus the cost factor. Plus I still have my Powerbook. I don't need gaming capabilities whatsoever. Soundcard quality is also not very important but it's a bonus if it's of good quality.

What specific LCD screen would be suitable? I'm looking into a min of 17". Ideally 19" budget permitting.

Total budget around $2K.

Edited by N@Z

I reckon anything above a 2ghz is more than fine for any form of officework...just a matter of time. Make sure you get at least 1GB of ram if you need to run a lot of programs, esp photoshop. Id recommend any AMD A64 system. Fast and cheap and is miles faster than any Intel system on same cost basis. If yer gonna do any video editing, lots and lots of harddisk space. LCD screens depend on how much left over from the rest of the system.

I think that u'd be better off of getting one of those usb tubed soundcards tongue.gif

sleep.gif i hav not been shooting much lately...guess i'll also try one of those "pro" shots tongue.gif

i agree with Qoo...N@Z's sound card for his new PC has to be more expensive then the PC itself...this way he can work better on the PC cause he won't be listening to crappy sound from cheapo soundcards lol.gif tube USB sounds good enough tongue.gif

Thanks, AMD A64 not overkill you think? What about graphics card?

If you dont need gaming capabilities, a nvidia 6200 chip based card will do just fine.

This is sort of a digital camera related post. I'm thinking of upgrading my ageing PIII 1Ghz 256MB RAM Dell PC. It's already maxed out & can't be upgraded anymore. I need something that will work well for Digital Imaging/post processing using Photoshop CS (an maybe the occasional digital video editing). At the moment it's struggling a little.

What specifications would be ideal for this usage? I will also be using it for general office work & internet (emphasis on multi-tasking i.e lots of open programs running at one time). I would like to avoid Macs as I have specific programs that I use regularly which can only be used on PCs plus the cost factor. Plus I still have my Powerbook. I don't need gaming capabilities whatsoever. Soundcard quality is also not very important but it's a bonus if it's of good quality.

What specific LCD screen would be suitable? I'm looking into a min of 17". Ideally 19" budget permitting.

Total budget around $2K.

if you can wait for a while, get the lastest motherboard which support SATA and PCIX ( expand slot ) cos it will be better that the older models in the market and is faster in term of speed,

Err i recommend 1 gig of ram space and get the DDR 2 ver ( which is faster can go upz to 800 mhz but costly )

for proccesing speed i recommend intel for very stable normal working PC and AMD for gaming

any speed above 2.4 gig is very fast unless ...... biggrin.gif

Err good LCD screen you can get the cheaper brand "sonicview" which uses the same screen as "sharp", "sony" and "samsung" but different processing chips and broads.

should come up to around 2K for such a setup !! yes.gif

if you do not need graphic card that are powerful get a simple model will do

for sound card, if really there no need then i suggest forget it

Good luck !!

Edited by N3w_Typ3

I'm being offered the following at $2K:

Dell Dimensions 8400 Desktop

Intel® Pentium 4 Processor 530 with HT Technology 3.0GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB

Microsoft® Windows® XP Pro SP2

Integrated Gigabit Ethernet

1GB(2X512MB) NECC Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz SDRAM Memory

80GB SATA (7,200rpm) Hard Drive

128MB PCIeâ„¢x16 ATI Radeonâ„¢ X300SE w/TV-out & DVI

17” UltraSharp™ Flat Panel LCD Monitor (Analog & DVI)

3 Year Limited Warranty

Well i dare say is a good deal !!!

best if got DVD r and rw ( will be useful ) laugh.giflaugh.gif

Thanks for reminding me, I just checked it's only a combo drive (DVD Rom & CD-RW) only. Will try to find out whether I can get it with the DVD-RW.

whoa.. nice setup. If it were me, id drop the processor speed just a bit and get more ram. Office programs take up a lot of ram...like really alot but thats just me happy.gif

1gb of DDR ram Dual channel should be more then enough...i would also go with a slightly lower processor speed (maybe 2.8ghz) and spend the extra money on a DVD writer or 19" LCD or both happy.gif

LCD monitors & DVD writers are getting really cheap now in SLS, not sure how the price is in Brunei.

Benq 16X dual layer DVD writer now is $129, the savings from 3.0Ghz to 2.8Ghz should cover for the DVD-RW

I paid about $1.4K for:

3.0GHz P4 w/ 1MB L2 cache

Motherboard

1GB DDR-RAM

74GB WD Raptor SATA HDD (10,000RPM)

Casing + PSU

FDD

More than good enough to handle video editing and graphics editing. Doing some video editing for my camp these few days as well.

You'll need a large HDD to handle DV editing and large photoshop files. Don't skimp on the HDD. Fast and huge is the way to go.. A 120GB SATA HDD with 8MB cache just for editing and storage of files will do. For the primary HDD holding OS and programs, just a regular 40GB and above will suffice.

Graphics card is not an issue when it comes to video and graphics editing. It's more important for games and animation or CAD/ CAM. Even onboard video will suffice for video and graphics editing.

Benq 16X dual layer DVD writer now is $129, the savings from 3.0Ghz to 2.8Ghz should cover for the DVD-RW

Nope. The price breakpoint is currently at 3.0GHz Stepping down to 2.8GHz only saves about $40.

Was just converting videos from VHS to digital while surfing and chatting at the same time.. Damn funky..

You wouldnt happen to be using an ATI AIW card wouldnt you Firefox?

Nope. I'm using an Nvidia equivalent.

It's a Gainward Golden Sample, Geforce 4 Ti4600 (factory o/c'ed to higher speeds) with VIVO functions, dual-RAMDAC's and 2 DVI outputs!

Not bad for a card that cost S$300 odd several years ago. =)