Sign in to follow this  
ahgoh7

Dilemma: PCDP or ipod

Hi guys

My PCDP died on me months back. Now when I'm out, I'm listening to my little receiver...

Going to spend some $ on a player but caught in a fix...

Can't really decide on PCDP ( with mp3 playback ) or a IPOD

anyone who has got such experience before and wat's ur decision in the end??

MP3 PCDP Pros:

1) Still have CD playback

2) Cheaper

3) No costly HDD to damage

4) Easily replaced batteries (Be it AA or Gumstick)

Cons:

1) Lose out in cool factor to IPod

2) Lesser song capacity (But then again, 700MB of MP3 can last me for almost a week)

3) Bigger size compared to IPod

4) Troublesome to burn CDR / CDRW, slower than HDD transfer too

In the end I chose MP3 PCDP, mainly due to the price factor, only thing I didn't like was waiting to burn the CDRW each time, still faster to transfer to HDD

Last time I was exactly in the same dilemma. I went with the iriver slim-x. But now I think I would rather get an mp3 player.Less cumbersome than burning in mp3 to cd-r/w . And like kenshinz said is faster if u wanna transfer mp3. Plus ipod is cool tongue.gif

that's y I'm in a dilemma

thinking about the battery life and replacement factor on the ipod.....

was eyeing on the iriver slimX initially

each got it's pros and cons....

You could also consider flash players which are highly portable, have decent capacity (up to 1GB), and are excellent for use in the gym. Price/MB is a drawback, but the iPod Shuffle is pretty cheap and still retains the cool "iPod" factor.

I personally have an iPod and prefer it to PCDPs mainly for the portability factor, storage capacity and the battery life & sound quality (apple lossless/320kbps AAC) are also decent enough. I guess price would be an important factor as decent PCDPs can be had for

I'm not interested in the ipod shuffle as capacity is one of the factors i'm considering...

Want to have a library of songs so that i can listen to watever i wan when i'm out.

dunno y, i find that ipod mini doesn't justify it's price...

for 4Gb - it's ard $4XX

while the 20Gb ipod is ard $5XX

a $100 more for 15Gb of capacity

just my humble opinion....

IMHO Ipod mini appeals more to ladies and people who value aesthetics more. The smaller size and colors appeal to them more so than capacity.

At lossless compression, I rapidly filled up my 20GB ipod. So I would recommend getting either that or the 40GB model. By the way, I got my 20GB at $450 (sealed). Just need to keep an eye out for ads at HWZ.

Cheers!

Edited by red_ryder

He mentioned to "keep an eye out for ads at HWZ (HardwareZone)". The classifieds section there has iPods popping up for prices below retail quite frequently, both used and sealed. Some even include accessories. Got mine sealed as well from there too.

My main concern as 'headamp DIYer' is the line out. Most of the flash / harddisk base mp3 player don't have line out. iPod can have line out only if we buy the dock. While most PCDP have line out.

If you want music library, harddisk base would be the choice. For those who use it for exercise, and look for portability, I would say the Creative Muvo N200 should be on the wish list.

If you want 'efficient' music on the go. I would recommend a mp3 player. If what you want is a good source and brings out your portable amp too, a portable cd player would be a better choice (audio cd though).