Sign in to follow this  
borez

PX200 vs SR60 vs E888s for iPod?

Hi all! This comparison has probably been discussed to death in the forums, but I still can't reach a decision after reading them... so here goes:

Am currently using a E888s for my iPod, and after 3/4 years of usage, I think my E888s are starting to give way (from the abuse I give it.. heh.)

Am starting to look at some options, namely the PX200 and the SR60. I can't use canal earbuds, as my ear canals are rather small, and they can't really fit.

Was actually looking at the SR60 more, but understand that it's open. Is it really that bad for outdoor listening? When compared to earbuds, does cans offer better sound isolation (in general)?

I'm not bass heavy, so bass rendition is not so much of an issue, as long there's accurate, tight bass.

I listen to mainly jazz and instrumentals, with pop, dance and rock at times.

Was wondering if someone who has used the both give some comments/advice.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by borez

Hi borez, I just started using a SR60 just to see what Grado was about. Well, after running it in, I have to say it beats the PX200 substantially in terms of sound quality.

I summarise what is my view:

1. Comfort - tie between both

2. Convenience - SR60 as it doesn't need to be folded/unfolded

3. Construction - SR60, the PX200 wire is especially flimsy and it is very microphonic, ie movement of the wire is transmitted to the headphones.

4. Portability - PX200, it is smaller and when folded and inserted into box, very neat. SR60 is not portable

5. Isolation - PX200 - some isolation from ambient sound but not as good as the in-ear designs eg Koss

6. Sound quality - SR60 by a long shot

7. Value for money - SR60

So that's my opinion. At the end, you have to decide and just take the plunge..... happy.gif , if you really want good isolation, get the in-ear phones, I have sat thru a nurse screaming my name in a clinic with my Koss on. headphone.gif Only problems with the Koss was having to compress the foam each time I put them in, which happens a lot, since I can't hear when people speak to me.

Regards.

Edited by heady

Q: Is it really that bad for outdoor listening?

A: yes

1. open phones let in outside noise, u will be turning up the volume till it harms your ears

2. the cord is really thick, and its too long for portable use, unless u stuff it into a bag

Q: When compared to earbuds, does cans offer better sound isolation (in general)?

A: it depends. closed headphones will provide more isolation, open headphones do worse then earbuds, in-ear headphones [e.g. shure or etymotic] offer the best isolation

Q: Was wondering if someone who has used the both give some comments/advice.

A: first of all, portable listening is a compromise, have listened to px200 for a short while during one of the sgheadphone meets, sonically not as good as SR60, plus it doesn't cover the ear totally

u may want to consider other popular portable phones, like

Sharp HP-MD33

Panasonic RP-HJE50

Sony MDR-EX71

Beyerdynamic DT 231

Shure E2C

Etymotic ER6

Sennheiser HD280

in-ear phones, to me, suit portable use the best [no headphone-band hair too]

u did say u can't use canal earbuds, but u may want to try the different sizes available [perhaps during the meets] to see if they fit your ears

Gee all!

Thanks a lot for the recommendations! I pretty much guess that the SR60 is out then.

Actually, I've tried out the Sony MDR-EX71 before (with the smallest covers), and no matter on how I try, they can't seem to get it in...

Actually, for in-ear buds, I'm actually looking at the Shure E2C. Etymotics are way out of my budget. how much are they actually? Will try to get a demo from one of my friends (I think he has it though).

im in the same situation as u are, looking for portable cans. Unfortunately, the sr60s are not portable at all... >< u will need to cart one of those clear plastic briefcases around.

The ex81lp seems to have good reviews... but cant determine whats the best buy under $200. Keep us updated on your decision! happy.gif

Im currently waiting for the Sharp MD33s(Tmr getting them!)

I've paired Shure E2c, PX200, MX500 and currently using creative stock buds(yes creative stock buds) with the ipod.

They performed well enuff. Esp the e2 and mx500. Suprisingly, the creative stock buds(the white, AT stick look-alike ones) seemed to do quite well.