Sign in to follow this  
fuwen

XinYao

Just bought this book about the history of xinyao (chief editor Liang Wen Foo). $35 and come with a CD with 15 songs covering the span of the xinyao movement. As I listened can't help tear drops in the eyes as the book and the familar songs reminded me those good old days in the 70s. Many of them are my personal friends like Wen Foo and Sameul Tan. Some of them make it big while others settle down in their own way.

I guess those forumners about my age and are Chinese educated (not sure this term still understood by many or not) should have been part of this xinyao history.

post-11-1106808503.jpg

Edited by fuwen

I remember listening to them as a kid during the 80s, Fuwen by chinese educated you mean people from the old Nan Tah?

Long story. Pple from old Nan Tah are of course Chinese educated. But generally also refer to late 70s early 80s people like me who studied Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) in both Chinese and English languages. We took Chinese as 1st language (CL1) and English as 2nd language (EL2). Our 'O' Level we sat locally set paper and we were allowed to answer in either Chinese or English (for those Science and Math subjects). I am actually the 2nd last batch of Chinese ed who took EL2 at 'AO' level and EL1 at 'O' level in JC. After that were all GP already.

Generally Chinese ed did suffer a bit in the English speaking working environment government was promoting. Only now when China has big economic potential that things change a bit.

So I can write and speak OK English but will never be able to write like Mackie or Rameish.

Edited by fuwen

Ahhh...I have a colleague who was educated under that system. She said many of her peers felt played out by that "experiment" after facing many difficulties in their careers. (Nantah is another controversial subject altogether. heh) Where did you buy the Xinyao book?I might want to check it out.

Edited by av98m

I got mine from CD RAMA Orchard MRT.

Well, Wenfu won the Arts Awards on Oct 2010. Congratulations Wenfu : )

On 1 Aug 2013, one of Wen Fu's songs that was banned was boardcasted again in 3 main Singapore board casting stations.

http://www.fuwen.net...-02-08-07-50-06

post-442-0-51697500-1455198805.jpg

Edited by fuwen

24 years apart, this is the latest new CD release by Wen Fu “Listen till Dawn” (我听到天开始亮了). The album recorded 15 songs close to our heart that span over decades. The two that touches me most are his variation of his own original scores. 《新加坡派》to 《新加坡派2.0(Singapore Style to Singapore Style 2.0) and 《历史考试前夕》to 《新谣历史外传》(History Exam Eve to Xin Yao History). 

Some of the songs collected in the album is Wen Fu written for various special occasions.《从心出发》(Start from Heart) was performed by 4 local artists (蔡健雅, 蔡淳佳, 陈伟联,潘嘉丽)and Singapore Chinese Orchestra celebrating Espanade 10 anniversary.《找回那感觉》(That Old Feeling) was for the new image launch event for Local Chinese news paper.《看电视》(Watch TV) was written in 1999 for board casting channel 8.《简爱》(SImple Love) was Wen Fu gift to Singapore independent 50 years.《自在苏州》(Easy Su Chow Province) was written for a China board casting station in 2016.《新欢会旧爱》celebrated 75 years of Broadcasting in 2011 with the three Chinese Boardcasting stations.

The other group of songs in this album of Wen Fu were the theme songs for various TV series, movies and other singers he had written over the years. 《放映爱》(Love Show) was written in 2016 for a local movie of the same title. In 2015 Wen Fu wrote for a teacher singer 符杰荣 听明天在歌唱》(Listen to Tomorrow Song) in his album《唱歌给你听:梦想发光》(Songs for You). In 2013, 《《下一首歌》(The Next Song) was written for singer 玖健,and in Hong Kong singer 马浚伟 albumCherishthe song《如愿》 (Wish). In 2015, 《人生无所谓》 (Easy Life) was the theme song for Singapore Media Corp Channel 8 TV series of the same title.《起飞》(Take Off) was a TV series with story back drop from Xin Yao and《好想告诉你》(How I Wish to Tell You) was written for this TV series, which recalled so much good memories for the generation grew up with Xin Yao. Finally, in 1999 Wen FU wrote for Hong Kong diva 张学友《她来听我的演唱会》(My Concert Lady Audience)but in this album of Wen Fu it was the version he sang during his concert in 2015, a very special interpretation of his own music live on stage.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php/home/randomness/wen-fu-2016/147-wen-fu-2016

wenfu_cd_2016_cover350.jpg

wenfu_photo350.jpg

Edited by fuwen