Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

fav DSLR under $3k

whats your fav DSLR camera given a budget of under $3000?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey! Is this true? From what I know (film camera, sorry) lenses are normally not the limiting factor as far as resolution is concerned.

--->If i load up ASA-32 slide (tec-pan, velvia etc) then the lens will definitely be the limiting factor.

--->When shooting at f/2.8 or wider (i do this all the time, usually at f1.4-2) then the lens will also be the limiting factor. laugh.gif

Hey! Is this true? From what I know (film camera, sorry) lenses are normally not the limiting factor as far as resolution is concerned.

All factors play part, but lens plays the biggest part for the image quality, including resolution, especially in film. Film can be considered as a very high megapixel CCD. So normally film resolution is higher than the lens resolution. But in low megapixel CCD, No matter high the lens resolution is, the CCD will be the limiting factor.

Remember that "A camera is not better than it's lens" wink.gif

Hope I am not too OT but I felt that film (or CCD ) is the limiting factor and not the lens. My reason is I ever use negatives ASA ranging from 25 to 1000. It is quite obvious to me that the lower the ASA I used the more details I am able to get from the lens. Even when I use ASA 25 I can still see obvious improvement in details and I can get grainless 8R print. My theory is if the lens is the limiting factor then after certain ASA u should not see anymore improvement in details, and hence the lens is the limiting factor. So based on my logic as far as up to ASA 25, the film is still the limiting factor.

Views from u guys?

Hmm, i have to disagree. The lens -----> sensor transfer is not seamless. There are resolution losses in-between.

eg:

(lens, 70) (film 80lpm) ----> output 55lpm

(lens, 70) (film 90lpm) ----> output 59lpm

(lens, 70) (film 100lpm) ----> output 63lpm

(lens, 70) (film 110lpm) ----> output 65lpm

(lens, 70) (film 120lpm) ----> output 66lpm

<this is meant just as an example>

Thus, by using higher res film, you will always get more resolution, although the lens is the limiting factor. For the record, using a high-contrast chart,

Kodachrome 25 rates 100lpm

Fujichrome Velvia 50 rates 160lpm

Hence, if i get rid of the zoom lens and use a 50/1.4 or 35/1.4, i can expect an output resolution of 140 lpm++ using velvia 50.

I hope this answers your queries. happy.gif