Sign in to follow this  
annapurna

Portable amp

I'm thinking of buying a portable headamp, likely to be used with a Creative Zen or Apple Ipod. The amp will be used for driving a Sennheisser HD600 (which I already owned) or a Etymotic ER6 or Shure E3C which I'm thinking of getting.

I'm new to portable amps and headphones and maybe some of you expert can help me. Is the Headroom Total airhead any good or other amps that are better in value?

Thanking you in advance.

Note - for my home system, I'm using a Naim Headline to drive the HD600.

Hi! annapurna, check out the PA2V2 thread and the DIY A47 thread. Those amps should be good value for money. Mackie should also have a good Porta Corda II to let go.

Edited by fuwen

is PA2V2 a really good choice? regardless of price, will supermacro be the best choice?

If I'm not wrong, the Pocket amp2 and the supermacro is two entirely different amps. Someone who's got the supermacro care to confirm it's using the opamps?

Anyway best choice is always your choice! haha...Take a listen and find out. Perhaps we should gather all the portable amps and do a side by side review. That'll be kinda useful eh?

Diferent amps do sound diferent.. Like my supermini that is using OPA 227 it sound

Blackly and blankly quiet, milky liquidly, rich, bassy, laid-back and good image, no any harshness.

When comparing with my superdual which is using the AD8620- Smooth, detailed, lively and flat.

Overall i prefer the sound from 227 when i lsiten to vocal/ classical and new age but with the superdual and the extra bass boast switch i listen to techno,trance, rock, new age.

is PA2V2 a really good choice? regardless of price, will supermacro be the best choice?

Read Mackie's review of the PA2V2 for a clearer idea of what you will be getting. If price is no concern, you might also want to consider the Ray Samuels SR-71. The Supermacro is pretty customisable, you can choose to use different op-amps in it, and do op-amp rolling on your own. All 3 are pretty decent amps, guess it would depend on your budget and/or personal preferences, best affirmed through auditions.

Absolute0, good recommendation!

Depending on your budget and also the source. Understand that the Ipod has a line out and the Zen does not. Because of this, believe that the Ipod will benefit most from using an amp. If you like customisation, go for the Supermacro. Believe it also has the option of a bass boost.

Understand that the Ipod has a line out and the Zen does not.

The iPod does not have a line-out. You need to get a pocket dock or the likes to make use of the line-out function.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my queries. It really provides me alot of insight to the world of portable headphone amps that I'm totally unfamiliar with. I managed to buy a Dr Xin Super Mini over the weekend from a fellow forumer and I'm very happy with it.

My next step is to buy a canal or earphones and a MP3 player. Would really like to compare the Shure E3C and ER4P which I heard are comparable in sound quality. Any advise on this?

As for MP3 player, have added Iriver to my shortlist, the H340. Wondering anyone who is using it can comment the sound quality compared to IPOD and Creative. I listen to all types of music, pop, rock, jazz, new age, folk, classical.

Thank you once again!

Well, in answer to your questions, COME for the mini dap portables meet in march. I am using iRiver H340 and I'll be bringing along shure E5c + Etymotics Er-4s and plugged into pocket amp version 2. Isn't this a perfect show for you? tongue.gif

If you want to buy shures, buy from me! if you want to buy etymotics, buy from me too! haha...

(I managed to sell away 2 sets of ER-4S and have 1 set left. Do chk out the classifieds(**retracted Etymotics thread) for details. PM me for offers pls.

Well, in answer to your questions, COME for the mini dap portables meet in march. I am using iRiver H340 and I'll be bringing along shure E5c + Etymotics Er-4s and plugged into pocket amp version 2. Isn't this a perfect show for you?

I'll most likely attend the gathering unless something urgent crops up. Would definitely like to meet all the gurus and learn something from them biggrin.gif . Let me know the location. As for the Iriver H340, how much is it and where can I get the best price?

I'm not that familiar with the local prices but I got mine in japan for about $700. I think the local version might be more expensive. Kindly check with the other guys?

Once we have decided a good location, it'll be posted up asap. Thanks so much for wanting to come. We're not gurus lah. Just normal ppl wanting to have some fun! holiday.gif

Well, in answer to your questions, COME for the mini dap portables meet in march. I am using iRiver H340 and I'll be bringing along shure E5c + Etymotics Er-4s and plugged into pocket amp version 2. Isn't this a perfect show for you?

I'll most likely attend the gathering unless something urgent crops up. Would definitely like to meet all the gurus and learn something from them biggrin.gif . Let me know the location. As for the Iriver H340, how much is it and where can I get the best price?

Thought u looking for H430... lol.gif