Sipher

mini to mini cable

Hi,

where to get a good mini to mini cable in SG?

i dont need a very long one. i think about 20cm will do?

please state place and price.

thanks

How about our SGH DIYers offering to make a mini to mini for Sipher for a small fee if no hi-fi grade cables are available?

I'm only an amateur when it comes to soldering, made ONE and probably the ONLY one i'd ever do.

I did a 20cm mini to mini using Belden microphone cable and Canare mini plugs. It sounded good but i had a hard time soldering the fairly thick cables into the pins of the plug... Cable is $1.50/m from LHS and plugs are i think $9 ea. Plugs are hugely overpriced but its hard to find decent mini plugs at all so not much choice.

Perhaps someone can give it a try and gimme some tips!

If we had some of the stuff you have there, I'd love to try it out, get some soldering practice. Also spoke with my younger brother today who is fairly good at DIY so if he has time I might get him to try building a CMOY or META. As it is he's too busy with shift work & his Radio Controlled Racers! Big kids eh?

Quality cables, plugs etc. We just get the sh*tty cheapo ones, none of the ones mentioned in the I/C review thread.

Ahhh... I'm getting a whole load of materials to make cables... maybe can send you abit to get soemone to do mini to mini cable...

Sorry to hijack your thread again Sipher but the info might be of some use should you or others want to try the DIY route.

What cables & plugs are you getting? I like the Neutrik plugs that are used in the link Mat posted:

user posted image

fishball, where'd you get the Canare mini plugs?

the only fat-bodied mini plugs I could find were some Canare-lookalike at $3 a piece at this shop on the 2nd floor of SLT

$3 apiece is good... The canare ones are from LHS

N@Z,

The cable i made looked quite like the photo.... same length too!

Edited by fishball79

damn. didn't realise they had Canare miniplugs there. actually, what IS the difference between a Canare plug and a copy? they're all gold-plated brass right? sleep.gif

Most more expensive plugs are more user friendly. Easier to plug in and out, will strain cables less, easier to terminate, etc. Certain designs sound better if they use better conductors and dielectrics such as Neutrik Profi. Almost all of them would be brass as pure copper is too soft.

Audiophile ones would be tellurium copper or silverplated copper alloy or pure silver with teflon spacers.

So do take a look INSIDE the plug to get an idea of how u need to solder. mini plugs are quite small and compact so you probably have to solder. The canare ones i have definitely cannot crimp.

Best plug is no plug. Next alternative are eichmann bullet plugs laugh.gif

Thanks for all the info. fishball79.

I really like the Eichmann Bullet plugs with the DNM Reson cables. Might need to get a few more pairs for the PreHead in the future! Unless I hear something else with a better combination.