Sign in to follow this  
Scriberex

Camera Battery Capacity Question

Hi All,

Am clueless about cameras so hoping to tap the experience of the many digital camera/electronics experts in this forum.

I just bought a Panasonic D-snap SV-AS30 digital camera from Japan. Not the best photo quality but suits me because of its small size and revolving lens.

The original battery is rated 3.7 volts and 530mAH. I've been wanting to buy a spare battery, and at Funan, asked Song Brothers and they showed me what they claimed was a compatible batter, that was rated 3.7 volts and 1500mAH. So, hand ichy, I decided to buy it.

Now, I'm wondering whether it was a mistake. The battery fits the camera battery compartment/connectors (but now I realize is meant for Panasonic Camcorders), but seems to work fine when I switch on the camera. But would the fact that it is 1500mAH instead of 530mAH mean that I am slowly frying my digital camera or just that I'll get a longer usage before having to recharge?

Any ideas would be truly appreciated!

Cheers!

Scriberex

I am no expert in this field, so someone correct me if i am wrong. I think u should be able to get longer battery life due to the higher capacity . DOnt think it will fry. I too am using 3rd party batt for my nikon d70 as spare.. and rated 1700maH , higher than original of 1300 i think. so far.. so good.

Just one qn, why buy from Song Bro? I think u can get much better prices elsewhere ./.IMO

Thanks Blues. That's reassuring. happy.gif

I had tried the usual shops at Funan like Alan Photo, BestCam, John 3:16, but they didn't have. Alan Photo said their Sim Lim branch had the battery but around $70 (dunno if original or compatible). I paid $50 for the battery from Song Bros, and thought the higher capacity might be a bonus compared to paying $20 more for original at 530mAH if I chase down the Panasonic distributors.

Problem was that this Panasonic camera model doesn't seem to be popular here, even its earlier model SV-AS10. A write-up of the AS30 is at http://www.photokina-show.com/news/panason...-SV-AS3_en.html

Cheers!

Sometimes the higher capacity is actually fake, a few of the 3rd party batteries I've seen indicates higher capacity but they actually dun last as long as the original or only about the same time.

If its 3x larger capacity, there would be more cells right.. and it will have to be larger or heavier too to hold the higher charge. Maybe higher quality cells would be able to hold a tad longer charge, but I doubt it will be up to 3x longer at the same size.

Thanks Kenshinz. I will monitor and see whether the battery lasts longer than the original. Main thing I wanted to be sure of is that I don't fry the camera. tongue.gif

Thanks Kenshinz. I will monitor and see whether the battery lasts longer than the original. Main thing I wanted to be sure of is that I don't fry the camera. tongue.gif

It shouldn't fry the camera.. but 1,500mAH is a little too optimistic for a small cell.. A true 7.4v 1,500mAH Li-ion battery is about 20mm * 60mm * 40mm in size.

So a 3.7v will be at least half that size.

i was told that the higher mAH means that the battery can last longer, which also means that the battery is able to retain the charge.

I can't figure this out wih respect to the volt, ampheres and the power of the battery. it is a bit mind boggling to me. biggrin.gif