Sign in to follow this  
Ttvetjanu

Bass strength ER-6i vs ER-4P?

I am at the moment deciding on which one of these headphones to chose. I havent found a topic in this sense before, and belive me, I've searched for one.

Anyone who might want to tell me what you think? Which one has a stronger bass? How great is the difference?

Thanks. headphone.gif

Edited by Ttvetjanu

I had the ER-6 (not i) and now own the ER-4. The latter has "stronger" bass, though the difference in terms of quantity is not significant. The more significant difference is in bass extension, of which the ER-4 is superior.

Well, I realise that. But the truth is that I do no really have anything else to compare it to. Yes, the sonys have a very muddy bass, but it seems to have impact. It is nowhere near as tight as the bass on my MB Quart cans, but that is also expected.

Simply, does the bass on the ER-6i & ER-4p feel weaker than EX71's ?

user posted image

Also, which one is stronger (or more impactful?).

Thanks

Oh, and also. Does the bass strength improve a lot if i got myself a portable amp, lets say the p2v2?

Also, how would this version compare with the others stated so far?

The price is an issue, especially concidering that a set of ER-6i + P2V2 = same price as a ER-4P.

I second absolute0 with the er4p. It's definitely bassier than the er6i.

No point getting the PV2V2 for the er4p as it's already "tweaked" to be driven easier. Works better with the er4s. If it's any external factor which interestes you in getting better bass, try the EQ settings?

This is a downgrade i know, but if it's bass you're talking about, go try the KOSS plugs. Bassheads.

I enjoy clarity more than I enjoy bass but sometimes I want there to be an edge, if you know what I mean.

How would the idea of buying an ER-6i and P2V2 sound like?

I know this is gonna get flames but I think this is an overkill for me.

I rather u spend the money for the amp to get a er-4p instead. Then you still have something to upgrade to.ie ER-4S, match with a good amp. It's a killer earphone you are talking here dude.

Bad things happen when you spend the money on something mediocre and then hear ppl rambling about this or that good and then you have to stress about upgrading.(upgradtitus) laugh.gif Of course I am assuming that you are ready to plunge into the "audiophile" circle.

Get the ER-4P. Not many ppl looked back afterwards. Also, the bass is punchier.

ready to plunge into the "audiophile" circle

If I can afford it biggrin.gif

I don't really see anything else reasonable to spend my money on (although im still 17).

I'll concider everything so far.

I rather u spend the money for the amp to get a er-4p instead. Then you still have something to upgrade to.ie ER-4S, match with a good amp. It's a killer earphone you are talking here dude.

Bad things happen when you spend the money on something mediocre and then hear ppl rambling about this or that good and then you have to stress about upgrading.(upgradtitus) laugh.gif

That's pretty much what happened to me, got the ER-6 but upgraded to the ER-4 not long after. So I'll seconf idkfa, get the ER-4 and if the sound is not good enough for you, which I doubt would be the case, get an amp. The ER-4 also has better resale value, if that helps.

As for whether an amp helps, it depends on the amp as well as on the cans you own. Some benefit more than others, and system synergy is important as always. It would be helpful to get an amp if you have the ER-4S, the bass goes really deep with amping, and the mids open up. Read up a little on relevant past threads such as Mackie's review on the PA2V2, they give you a pretty good idea of what to expect from an amp.