Sign in to follow this  
Ttvetjanu

Bass strength ER-6i vs ER-4P?

Well, my case is the following:

I have (IMO) a pair of very very good cans at home. (I dont know much about headphones, but i think MB Quart QP400 are audiphile quality)

The earphones im buying mostly for travel. The MB Quart's are half-open design, so they leak sound. They are also 300 ohms per piece, so 600 ohm's alltogether. Doesent take a brainic to figure out that these are hard to drive on portable devices.

I am of the opinion that I want to buy the ER-4p (since id prefer not to carry around an amp, which would be nessecary with the ER-4s). If i change my mind i can always buy the converter that changes ER-4p->4s.

My problem is making my dad agree with my decision. He wants me to buy the ER-6i because its cheaper. I want to make an good argument.

Edited by Ttvetjanu

They are also 300 ohms per piece, so 600 ohm's alltogether. Doesent take a brainic to figure out that these are hard to drive on portable devices.

1. Since the left and right channels are driven separately, you cannot add the impedances of the two. (You can only do that for devices that are connected in series, which the left and right drivers are obviously not.)

2. Although impedances generally give a fair indication of how easy they are to drive, the other important factor is their sensitivity. It is theoretically possible that a set of phones with low impedance and low sensitivity be softer than one with a higher impedance but higher sensitivity....

Still, since you are using them for travel you definitely need something isolating.

And if I were you I would avoid the EX-71 and Koss Plugs. The former has less isolation and I find too boomy, whereas the latter might isolate a bit better but are just bass and almost nothing else.

Cheers.

idkfa, I may be getting the e4P soon instead of the UM2, as suggested by you. So I know who to blame if I don't like it. (Just kidding!)

Hello Ron, I am sure you will love your etys. The only thing ppl complain about the ETYs are probably the built quality not so much the sound. Sonically, it's definitely a winner. I'm sure Wil can testify to this. biggrin.gif

Before I was thinking of getting a ER-4P so I can use it unamped. Now I find it a hassle to use the (P)>(S) converter since I cannot live without an amp. Luckily I have a supermacro that has a built in (S) converter. Now I wished I got a (S) instead. Less cables. So why not a (S) for you?

Btw, what amp are you using ron? The PV2V2 sure opened up the ER-4P/S for that little money. happy.gif

My problem is making my dad agree with my decision. He wants me to buy the ER-6i because its cheaper. I want to make an good argument.

Just my 10cents worth. If you spend $10 on a cheaper earphone, you've just wasted your $10 entirely. If you spend $20 on a solid performer, you've just gotten every cents's worth of enjoyment.

The ER6i is not a bad earphone at all, but since you are going for something good, why not just go for the better one? It's only + $100+? You might find that if you want to get them in a later stage, you pay more for it + you probably are stuck with the ER-6i.

Hello Ron, I am sure you will love your etys. The only thing ppl complain about the ETYs are probably the built quality not so much the sound. Sonically, it's definitely a winner. I'm sure Wil can testify to this. biggrin.gif

Before I was thinking of getting a ER-4P so I can use it unamped. Now I find it a hassle to use the (P)>(S) converter since I cannot live without an amp. Luckily I have a supermacro that has a built in (S) converter. Now I wished I got a (S) instead. Less cables. So why not a (S) for you?

Btw, what amp are you using ron? The PV2V2 sure opened up the ER-4P/S for that little money. happy.gif

Have ordered the ER-4p. Should be here in another 2 or 3 weeks hopefully. Did consider getting the S instead but at times might use the phones unamped (using it with my PDA) so finally settled on the 4p. Have already fixed up a convertor cable and tried it out with the Koss KSC75. Really help in bringing out the sound from these little buggers. ohmy.gif Will build another cable later (gotta get more mini plugs) with 150 ohm instead of 75 ohm and see if there is any difference.

Wanted to get the supermacro but too costly! Went for the Go-vibe instead with the AD8066 preinstalled. Will try out other op amps later when my TI samples arrived. Already impressed with sound from the line out of the Ipod mini and the Grado SR60.

Also try a 50 ohm and 60 ohm resistance for your (P). I kind like the 60 ohm + (P) sound.

3 weeks to reach you? What kind of online shop does that kinda shipping?? ohmy.gif

Usually it's about a week most dude. yawn.gif

Hmm ... 50 ohm. Not sure if it will provide a noticeable difference to the sound but since the cost of the resistors are only 20 cents, it may be worth a try.

They mentioned something like 14 days. sad2.gif

Thanks for the info so far.

Anyone got any clue how much Er-6i and ER-4p cost at Hung bros?

Also thinking about buying an iPod shuffle, anyone got any clue about the prices for it?

Thanks

It does make a great difference when uped from the 4P. Let's me put it this way, 4(P)<___diff resistors____>(S). It's like a hardware EQ where you can tweak the sound of the ETYs manually. Go do it see what I mean. I basically have the 50, 60, 75. You can even go for a lower resistor. 50<.

It's pretty fun if you must ask.

Gosh, that UE 5EB looks so Shure E4c, or should I say, iPodish?? Last I'll see is senns coming out with a white plastic HD series.

Will be looking forward to some Head-Fi reviews. Somewhat I am not so reactive to those ipodish styled stuffs nowdays. But am sure interested to hear UE's house sound.

Gosh, that UE 5EB looks so Shure E4c, or should I say, iPodish?? Last I'll see is senns coming out with a white plastic HD series.

Will be looking forward to some Head-Fi reviews. Somewhat I am not so reactive to those ipodish styled stuffs nowdays. But am sure interested to hear UE's house sound.

Indeed iPodish earphones abound nowadays. They look so much like clones of each other, I think it's not gonna look cool anymore some day. Seems like UE is going all out to woo the mass consumer market. But I seriously can't imagine Sennheiser having anything to do with white plastic, that will be a majot put off. rolleyes.gif