Teaken

Which headphone to go with portable mp3/cd player?

recommendations based on personal experience:

mdr-e888lp ($70 - edison electronics)

px200 ($95 - hung bros)

px100 ($79 - hung bros)

d66sl (~$90 - shop in lucky plaza) [apparently it's out of stock right now]

mx500 ($33.95 - harvey norman)

mx400 ($25.95 - harvey norman)

ath-em7 ($72 - hung bros or $90 - best denki)

um this is a copy/paste with modifications of a post i did in another thread. you might want to read abt a but first before posting.. but anyway, glad to help. yeah.gif

all of these headphones/earbuds should be able to be powered to dangerously loud levels with any portable player.

koss ksc-55 ($49) wub.gif

koss ksc-50 (abt $50)

both can be bought at hung brothers

Edited by Sipher

Koss KSC35 (If you can find any)

Any Grado lineup (Although they would sound alot better with amplification)

Sony MDR-7506/V6

Sony V700DJ. Oh no, anti-SonyVxxxDJist will curse me..heehee tongue.gif

Edited by Charismatic

teaken, let us know what's your budget

and your music preference

All the above-mentioned recommendations are good.. but I would wholeheartedly recommend you koss ksc-55 (if you like those neckband type) or the koss ksc-50 for clip ons. For earphones, I think you might want to try sennheiser mx500. In my opinion, it sounds nicer than sony e888 not to mention cheaper by 1/2 smile.gif

the sony has greater transparency but lacking in bass kicks and abit shrill in high end to me.

The 2 koss sound similar due to the same driver. I am using the ksc-35(older model .. replace by ksc-50). and for the 40 dollars that I paid, it's worth every single penny!!! I can't believe how good this thing sounds.. they are just like 100 dollar headphones to me. try connecting them to an amp and you will see what I mean. Even without amp, it already shines!! smile.gif

if i'm not wrong the ksc 50 & 55 sound inferior compared to the ksc 35.

Edited by adhoc

not really lah actually.

The ksc-55 infact can sound just as good if not better, due to their tight fit. So the bass is deeper. On the other hand, ksc-50 is said to be inferior due to the fit. They have looser fit compared to the ksc-35 and the sound is quite dispersed, so I heard ;p

har28: having tried the er-4p , I would say for 230, save your money for other cans. The ety is good, but has many problems. Like microphonic, and some are very skeptical about putting things into your ear..

Having said that, in 230 range I think you top up abit more.. say 30 more dollars to get a beyer dt250-80. I can vouch for this baby, it sounds very good.And at the same time, can be driven out of portables. During the last few days of its stay, I brought the dt250-80 out in the mrt and out walking along clarke quay there..

sounds fantastic!!!!! great isolation and great sound.

Mind you, I have not heard the ety-er6 , but the impression doesn't seem favourable. Many regretted their purchase and said that they should have saved for the er-4p/s instead ;p

sipher: that's right.. sporta pros and porta pros included. but those are vertical type..

the difference in sound is basically due to the fit.

hmm but I really need an earbud... a full size headphone is too crumblesome to be carried to school everyday tongue.gif

btw my hd600 surprisingly can be driven pretty well by my new ipod... without an amp...

sounds great but again... too heavy and bulky to go along... especially considering that I'm spending so much for the slimness of the ipod

you should try the koss.. either the ksc-50 or 50 will be great out of your ipod

The reason why I don't recommend you a sennheiser mx500 is.. firstly I think you might have heard/tried them, and secondly because the koss is much fuller sounding with better soundstage+bass. The mx500 is great but that's all.. there is something better for just a bit more.. and I think the koss is a real fantastic value for money. I am listening to it as I'm typing this. I can't believe they are so cheap and yet can stay with me for so long. I am very very impressed.

Ask sipher, he also owns a ksc-55 biggrin.gif