Sign in to follow this  
evo

PURE Digital PocketDAB 2000

From what I read, the unique selling point is probably only the digital radio. It sure does reminds me of the movie "Existence"'s analogue control pad. LOL. Optical out is cool though. Hope to find it ard tokyo... biggrin.gif

Hi

I suppose the combination of features makes it attractive. However, if the attraction is the DAB part, I hope people are aware of its limitations as well as its benefits.

The standard benefits of DAB are -- clear hiss-free sound (provided you are in a place where the signal strength is sufficient, otherwise you get "bubble" sounds due to signal dropouts); song title display; traffic announcements(!); and several stations not available on FM (in Singapore).

These must be weighed against its limitations -- relatively poor sound quality (in fact, I feel poorer than 96kbps MP3, and definitely poorer than FM with good reception); song titles that are displayed only half of the available time (the rest of the time taken up by irritating repetitive MediaCorp promotional announcements, and the occasional traffic announcement) -- so you often have to stare at the display waiting for the title to come along (although the TxtStor feature on the PocketDAB 2000 might somewhat alleviate, or even totally eliminate, this problem).

However, for a pocket radio, the advantage is that you have a choice of signals (FM and DAB) so you increase your chances of getting good reception for those MediCorp stations which are available on both. All non-MediaCorp stations are not available on DAB, of course.

Personally, I resort to DAB only when I can't get a good clean signal from the corresponding FM station (my DAB reception happens to be quite good for both multiplexes). Since I have several tuners, I normally just use my DAB for song title display (!!!), and even that's not as useful as it could be, for reasons mentioned above. It's laughable, I know, but I still haven't decided whether I should be laughing ...

I also don't believe I have ever seen any song titles on 933 and 972 ....

In view of the poor DAB sound quality, the benefits of optical out, for recording DAB, is therefore somewhat arguable.

Nonetheless, the combination of features the PocketDAB 2000 provides may still prove attractive, depending on one's usage.

Cheers

frodo