Sign in to follow this  
kank_39

Is music suppose to sound like that?

First and foremost, i would like to thank nakedtoes for doing a few of us a favour for lugging our alessandros all the way from Taiwan.

Anyway on to the main point of this topic which is with regards to the sound production of Alessandro (and Grado i would think). Before i bought my MS1, i read people praising Grado headphones for its awesome capability to pick out details. Low and behold, after burning in my MS1 for quite a while, i'm starting to hear more and more those teeny weeny twicks, crashes, effects etc etc and i'm thoroughly amazed.

That set me thinking. In order that we hear such details, i believe these details are amplified. Sometimes such details are even brought forward to certain levels which equals that of the main music sections. Am i right to say that the details are amplified? If so, is that the way that music should be listened to i.e. to hear all those amplified details? Is that the intention of the music production? Or are those details just suppose to stay at the background?

Of course, don't get me wrong. I love my MS-1. Really smoothens out lots of guitar works which i listen most of the time. smile.gif Not to mention the tightness of the basslines and trebles. Just want to see your (professional) opinions on this issue with regards to details.

Edited by kank_39

I suppose you are hearing what the producers had intended. It is unlikely that the cans, amp or any other equipment could artificially "amplify" the detail such that they take centre stage when they actually belong elsewhere. I would think that it's just because of the higher resolution, or superior ability to retrieve details. It's probably the same with photography where you see more "detail" in photos from a 10MP camera compared to a 1MP camera -- the "details" are intrinsic, it's just whether the camera is capable of "retrieving" them.

Thanks for the reply Absolute0. I think i get the idea now.

OK, maybe the details aren't amplified but are just being reproduced as intended by the producer. However, different cans tend to reproduce the same music differently. For example, grados/alessandros gives a more in-your-face effect while senns are more layed back with a larger soundstage. There are also other cheaper commercial headphones which boost the bass like portapros and ATH FC7. I believe all these effects are known as "colour", right? Therefore is it not right to say that cans have the capability to alter the presentation of the music? Meaning, it is impossible to get what the original representation unless we have the producer next to us advising us of the setup? smile.gif

Heard of the song "Let's call the whole thing off"? No? anyway, since everyone has a unique and subjective ear for music, orginal presentation differs from one to another. So how? just sit back, switch the aircon on,load your fav CD, pour some chill red wine and a set of good can over your head and enjoy music the way u like it..... biggrin.gif

...different cans tend to reproduce the same music differently. For example, grados/alessandros gives a more in-your-face effect while senns are more layed back with a larger soundstage. There are also other cheaper commercial headphones which boost the bass like portapros and ATH FC7. I believe all these effects are known as "colour", right? Therefore is it not right to say that cans have the capability to alter the presentation of the music? Meaning, it is impossible to get what the original representation unless we have the producer next to us advising us of the setup? smile.gif

Yes what you've mentioned is largely true, cans, and other equipment as well for that matter, do tend to impart a certain colouration to the music which may not be what the producers have intended.

But like Yon asserts, each of us do have our personal preferences, hence certain equipment are more to our taste than others. Ultimately, it's about enjoying the music, and not a blind pursuit for audio nirvana as dictated by what the producers intend for the listeners. Wouldn't it be boring if all equipment sound the same?

To put things into perspective though, I would basically categorise audiophiles into 2 categories (there are of course many other ways of categorising). One is those who persist in the search for neutrality, i.e. faithful reproduction of the music down to the most minute detail; and the other those who look out for musicality, i.e. what sounds good to their ears. There are of course the "in-betweens", and those who don't mind some bass boost or crossfeed to make things more interesting.

Back to the photography analogy again, cameras of different brands/models may give different hues, balance, texture, etc. in the photos. Some people want their pictures to be exactly identical to what they see through their eyes, others are happy as long as they are pretty, and some go to even greater extents to edit them so that they look "better" (think Photoshop).

Pick your poison. wink.gif

Edited by Absolute0

...different cans tend to reproduce the same music differently. For example, grados/alessandros gives a more in-your-face effect while senns are more layed back with a larger soundstage. There are also other cheaper commercial headphones which boost the bass like portapros and ATH FC7. I believe all these effects are known as "colour", right? Therefore is it not right to say that cans have the capability to alter the presentation of the music? Meaning, it is impossible to get what the original representation unless we have the producer next to us advising us of the setup? smile.gif

Yes what you've mentioned is largely true, cans, and other equipment as well for that matter, do tend to impart a certain colouration to the music which may not be what the producers have intended.

But like Yon asserts, each of us do have our personal preferences, hence certain equipment are more to our taste than others. Ultimately, it's about enjoying the music, and not a blind pursuit for audio nirvana as dictated by what the producers intend for the listeners. Wouldn't it be boring if all equipment sound the same?

To put things into perspective though, I would basically categorise audiophiles into 2 categories (there are of course many other ways of categorising). One is those who persist in the search for neutrality, i.e. faithful reproduction of the music down to the most minute detail; and the other those who look out for musicality, i.e. what sounds good to their ears. There are of course the "in-betweens", and those who don't mind some bass boost or crossfeed to make things more interesting.

Back to the photography analogy again, cameras of different brands/models may give different hues, balance, texture, etc. in the photos. Some people want their pictures to be exactly identical to what they see through their eyes, others are happy as long as they are pretty, and some go to even greater extents to edit them so that they look "better" (think Photoshop).

Pick your poison. wink.gif

Good one biggrin.gif I personnally find Alessandro cans suit more kinds of music better then grado thats what i likes about them just like ER4S.... Want more bass, EQ abit and u got the extra omph w/o sacrific others.. I would said the MS2i is an excellent pair of can... headphone.gif