Sign in to follow this  
xchagg

Help Assembling A MINT Amp

Arrgh, I ordered 2 MINT boards from Tangent intending to try a little more DIYing.

The boards arrived yesterday and I suddenly realized the ICs are SOIC packages, not (easy to solder for newbies) DIP-8 packages sad2.gif

The MINT uses some fairly pricey parts and I don't trust my almost non existent soldering skills for SMDs...

Is anyone here willing to assemble this amp for me (including encasing the thing). I can get all the parts ready beforehand and will reimburse for erm . . larbour tongue.gif

Oh and the person assembling can have the other MINT board free biggrin.gif

The MINT board uses Altoid Tin so you only need to cut holes in them.

I will help you solder the SOIC only (or other SMT if they exist) but I don't want your money. I want your board...

Hehe... biggrin.gif . Where you stay?

No prob, you can have the other board. Better than frying 2 BUF634s and an AD8620 wink.gif

I stay around Bayshore Rd, can bring the boards and components down to your place or someother convenient location.

I wanted a proper enclosure cause mint tin+jeans pocket=squashed amp haha.

Err... I think you missed out the previous post. I am only able to do the sodering only. Won't be having enough time to do the enclosure.

an update:

Finally got all the parts I needed to populate the board. (Digikey and vPOSTUSA shipping was a killer . . . if there is a local source for the Panasonic EVJ-C20 pot I'm really going to smack my head HARD lol, but I was lazy tongue.gif)

Hooked up some wire and croc clips to test it out and it's working beautifully. Though I had to spend around 10 mins b4 finding out that i needed to jumper the switch pads if there isn't a switch installed. Was wondering why there was power only at the V+ and V- pads but nowhere else dry.gif

Thanks again Jason for the solder assist biggrin.gif

No need to smack your head. biggrin.gif I did see a EVJ-C20 pot in SLT but it was stuck to a sample board. When I asked the price, the person wanted to know how many 100s I wanted and he will order for me. So I had to say sorry and walk out the door. no.gif

Took me awhile, but I finally got around to casing this up.

Ran out of time to get a proper Hammond (went overseas), and couldn't figure out how to make a hole big enough for the volume pot witout destroying an Altoids tin, so here's my own MINT (Meta42 In A Tupperware biggrin.gif )

Some pics, this is my first digicam, so they aren't very good heh.

Shot of the Innards:

user posted image

External shot, cover off:

user posted image

External shot, covered:

user posted image

Edited by xchagg

Excellent job. Looks nice if unconventional. I think a mint tin would have been too small for it anyway.

Got the tupperware from Jason's supermarket for $2.80. It's the smallest size available i think, other than the round tupperware. And much cheaper than a Hammond tongue.gif

After I decided to put the amp in a tupperware, I swapped the elec caps for something better hah. Might as well utilize the extra real estate.

Oh yea, didn't way anything about the sound. LOVE it hehe. Sounds slightly better to me than the CMOY2, mainly the expanded soundstage. And more detailed, prob due to the AD8620 vs. OPA2227s in the CMOY2. It is WAY better compared to the Go-Vibe v2 w/AD8620. Lots of detail, and sounds a lot richer and less 'trebly' than the Go-Vibe. Probably the buffers at work there.

Too bad the tupperware is not pocket friendly, so the CMOY2 is still my choice for amping on the go.

Nice to hear that. The quality of Meta 42 is definately better than the Cmoy2.

Of course Cmoy2 has it's strength, it provide a good starting experience for DIYers.

BTW, I didn't know I own a supermarket in my asset column. Must have misplace it somewhere... tongue.gif